It's the Schuko the only one safe power connector option ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r2d2

Hi to everybody,
looking for a more safe power connector than the Schuko type,
as something with some kind of blockage
to prevent even an accidental disconnection
of devices such as power amplifiers, active monitors, and similar,
unfortunately it would seem that there is not much about it,

apart those for industrial use specifically for that need,
which however are too large and bulky ,
so no suitable,

(Will one have to be invented?...)

thanks in advance for any info about.

looking for a more safe power connector than the Schuko type
What do you mean by Schuko? Schuko stands for Schutzkontakt (=outlet and connector with PE) ? Where are you based, Area 51 sounds like the USA?;)

If you mean IEC plugs, then there's the Speakon solution, which can also be locked.

Last edited:
If you want the economics of IEC but more safety from disconnect, I have seen power supplies with a wire clip that swings over the molded plug on the power cord to keep it from being pulled out.
Something like this:
Bulgin IEC retaining clip

Indeed,
that clip is a so good locking system !!

Should be mandatory for audio pro devices... ,

but there should be in the appropriate form on the other side of the cable as well.

Italy has probably the EU's strangest power connectors
I have never seen that weird shaped connector, but maybe I am not old enough. The three pin is what we use today and there is a larger one rated for 16A. I am living in my grandparents old house from the 60s which has some sockets with the smaller 10A format, and some with the larger 16A, plus some of the appliances come with shuko plugs. In the house there is a pile of adapters but it's a brainfuck really. I am in the process of changing all sockets to a universal 10A/16A at least.

In my opinion the UK plug is the best of them all : cannot be inserted in reverse, has a built in fuse and the cable coming out at a 90 degree angle makes really difficult to rip it out from the socket accidentally, and the terminals can be separately taken off the housing for easily screwing the wires in.

After moving back from the UK I have kept all my power cables and multiway extensions to UK standards both in the workshop and in the home studio because it's a superior connector and also because I am too cheap to change everything.
However I am not sure how this is acceptable for safety protocols and what would be the implications if I had an insurance in place. I know in Italy we also use the Shuko plug but I don't know if the UK plug would be considered compliant to national safety standards.

.... Really not suitable for use in the audio pro environments .
(i.m.h.o.)
why ? I never thought the Italian 16A plug to be any worse than the other countries are using. And I definitely don't know what would be so different about pro audio devices.
But I hope the discussion is not gonna degenerate into "hi-fi" mains cables...

I am trying to picture a scenario where a disconnect would happen accidentally. Is someone walking where they shouldn’t?

..... + 1 X 10000.....

and only as a variation about
try imagining the power connector
that slowly slipping out, generating intermittent contacts
like fast power on-off with hi volume on expensive active studio monitors

what would happen to the speakers and amplifier ?

same if it happen on one of the outboard in the chain between the monitors
..... ADA converters too .

I’ve had IEC connectors just fall out by themselves. They’re pretty basic.

Powercon is the best modern option, imho.
I suppose but normally I can feel the connection is loose and swap an iec to avoid that. More over I can’t imagine where even a loose connection if not touched would just fall out unless someone or something disturbed it.
FWIW I do like the power con. Aside from locking I can easily drill a mounting hole vs routing for a iec.

Last edited:
Similar to what was alluded to in post #8, for location recording where there is a possibility of accidental disturbance of the AC plug at the wall outlet, I use a short extension cord that has a right-angle plug on it that is very difficult to be pulled out accidentally; then tie the connection of that to the main AC cord with a simple knot that prevents them from being pulled apart.

Is it actually permitted to lock the IEC mains connector on the wall side? It has advantages to be able to pull out the plug quickly in the event of a fault. You don't really see that in the private sector, but it is common for bigger CEE connectors.

In the US, I'm pretty sure that locking an AC plug to a wall outlet is illegal.
Locking an AC cord to a device would not be a problem.

The best (commonly available) right-angle plugs on extention cords I've seen are the ones with a fold-flat metal loop on them to make easier to pull out intentionally.

It really depend of application and use.

At my side I prefer a plug that just disconnect from the device if someone walk on it inadvertently in the studio than seeing the equipment taking off for a nice flight...
Sometime you can't avoid cable mess in the middle of the room, IEC plugged equipment included.
-loosy- plug may or may not disconnect, but you get a chance to not crash everything.

For indusial, machine room, inside rack cabinet, stage backline, or whatever critical and controlled area from -public-, it's another story.

Latest posts

Back