It's the Schuko the only one safe power connector option ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It really depend of application and use.

At my side I prefer a plug that just disconnect from the device if someone walk on it inadvertently in the studio than seeing the equipment taking off for a nice flight...
Sometime you can't avoid cable mess in the middle of the room, IEC plugged equipment included.
-loosy- plug may or may not disconnect, but you get a chance to not crash everything.

For indusial, machine room, inside rack cabinet, stage backline, or whatever critical and controlled area from -public-, it's another story.
Exactly the idea behind Apple's magnetic power supply connectors.

I know this from other situations, I have connected my headphones via lockable Neutrik stereo 6.3mm socket. Not a good idea, if something goes wrong, the cable breaks instead of just the jack plug is flying out.

It would seem to be a good solution,

It would remain to fix the other part of the cable,

It really depend of application and use....

probably the ones most exposed to the problem
are the active studio monitors,
and the active live speakers,

because lot of vibrations received by low frequencies generated,
(bass gtr & kick drum)

(check how many active studio monitors have no lock on the amplifier power in connector , placed in the back side of the monitor)

Last edited:
Exactly the idea behind Apple's magnetic power supply connectors.
I have this in mind when writing my comment, save my laptop few times...
There is also the lock for DC plug on various synth/keyboard... I never lock them !
I have connected my headphones via lockable Neutrik stereo 6.3mm socket
This also work for guitar and amp...

Anyway if you make the wrong move you cut everything, stage or studio... but if you get cable loose you just lost signal and it's a 3 sec fix, if something fall or break the fix is not the same.

In my youth I get used to coincidently lock the guitar jack in the strap, and make a loop on the amp handle (to not have the cable failing around the mic stand), hopefully never get a catastrophic result, but it was not that smart...

In the US, I'm pretty sure that locking an AC plug to a wall outlet is illegal.

For high current connections NEMA L6-30P connectors are used, which is a quarter-turn twist lock.
There are several locking variants of standard NEMA connectors, all the ones with L designation:
NEMA connector configurations

Can I paste in SVG files directly? Seems so...
1701729550253.png

I have used these and keep at least a dozen in stock to fit as needed. They are actually brilliant, the lock is like a backwards facing “tooth” that grabs the iec prongs in the socket, so its very secure and doesn't require a special socket to work (yes, there are locking IEC sockets and cables but they’re a cheesy plastic latch thats easily broken))

When you pull back on the red tab it both releases the teeth and pulls the cable free.

Unlike any other IEC wiring device, it actually has machined brass terminations internally, not some crappy stamped or folded steel and screw arrangement. They’re very nicely built.

The only downside is they are fairly long, definitely longer than a molded IEC so if space behind is a concern they may cause problems.

Otherwise i agree, powercon is the best overall solution.

Hi to everybody,
looking for a more safe power connector than the Schuko type,
as something with some kind of blockage
to prevent even an accidental disconnection

I never ever up to this day had or seen a Schuko male connector disconnect alone, by vibration or by accident from a female Schuko. The physical connection between male and female Schuko is quite strong and safe.

I’ve had IEC connectors just fall out by themselves. They’re pretty basic.

Powercon is the best modern option, imho.

Standard IEC connectors, specially the cheapest ones are prone to just fall by themselves due to vibration and pressure, it's a classic.

The solution is a IEC connector with a Lock like Rod Flinn showed,
Powercon is a good connector but my Live sound mixing consoles, computer, power amps, Stageboxes, etc etc, all come with IEC connectors installed from the factory, so Powercon is not a solution for these, but a lockable IEC connector solves it
I use the exact same ones as in Rob's link and they work great

Screen Shot 2023-12-06 at 00.50.57.png

As for the connection to the Wall, if there's a female Schuko installed in the wall then Schuko works great and doesn't fall ever by themselves

I suppose you could mount an 'output' powercon socket in your walls. Like the one used for linking lightning devices. They are almost the same as the 'input' version, but reversed...

But i have yet to see a wall plug getting loose from its socket. While i've seen people rip off the socket from the wall by walking on a cable.

I like iec locks for devices installed in touring racks. They tend to get loose during transport and it can be a pita to replug them all before a show.

Thomas

Sincerely thanks so much for all post !

As short summary,
seems that something suitable/adaptable is available,
(...although not fully specific)

and a solution could be
the cable with "IEC-C13" female on the device side,
but it require to replace the male one on the panel of the device ?

and a speakon type on the other side of the cable,
however, that needs its own box where the panel model should be placed,
and the same for where the box cable will then go to connect ,
(If not directly connected to a power distribution box, with dedicated on-off switch)

@gyraf:
Actually those power connectors really looks to be not the best in terms of safety.....
@ursonate:
They inspire "trust", although like the speakon they need appropriate box for the females,
what kind of connectors were they replaced with ?

any more post about is welcome,
more thanks guys !

@r2d2

Nowadays, Schuko plugs are mostly used; if reverse polarity protection is required, CEE plugs and couplings (see pictures) are used. And Siemens "Messerleisten" are still used.

1701863076894.jpeg

1701863040015.jpeg

Latest posts

Back