JENSAMP-51X (Germanium Mic-Pre by Darius Kubarth)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is on both units?

chances are low you received bad transistors.
(and this wouldn't explain the loud pops between gain 3 to 5).

could you post some high res pics (where we can identify resistor color strings and solder joints)?
(the small transistor is BC109, the bigger one without heat-sink is the ASY26 - which one does the symptoms?)

I just fired these up. I have to say that out of the many 500 style DIY projects from this forum that I have built, this one is the best engineered and put together yet. Everything works perfectly 1st time, the documentation is good, the front panel is not so horribly narrow that you can see the sled on both sides (a disturbing trend around here, it makes the rack look like a dental dilemma), and it sounds fabulous!

I'm dealing with one unit at a time. This unit has the above problems.
All solder joints look good. It's Transistor ASY26 with problems.
Actual measurements of resistors

CG    12        8D              RG    12    180K
            11      15J                          11    100K
            10      27J                          10      56K
              9      47J                          9      33K
              8      82J                          8      18K
              7    151J                          7      10K
              6    271J                          6      5.6K
              5    471J                          5      3.3K
              4    821J                          4      1.8K
              3    152J                          3          1K
              2    272J                          2      560R
              1    472K                        1        330R
          C  13    331J                        R5        10K

Attachments

• IMG_2576.JPG
    IMG_2576.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 67
benlindell said:
as far as the culprit, it's getting better but the symptom is getting weirder.
from pos 8 up it's all fine. below pos 8 sometimes it's fine then sometimes it starts making pulsing noises and also loud switching pops.

I verified all the caps and resistors. double check the diodes and transistors. I reflowed every point and it got a little better now sometimes it doesn't make noise in the lower positions but if I go slow between the positions the noise starts, that's weird right? do I have a defective switch?

Did you work it out?

Seems like I am having the same issue on one unit too.
Everything is fine except for some switch positions.

Best,
Carsten

NO, I haven't solved the switching, pulsing and distortion problems.
Must be some bad parts.  I haven't received any trouble shooting advice. (Help) I've just given up.

Physically,  Is there any difference between your two units? If not must be parts?

Winetree, don't give up.

problems / noise / THD with too much input is normal, independent of HiZ or Mic input.
if there are only problems in specific gain switch positions it can't be a bad transistor.

however, a few days ago I shipped some replacement ASY26 to your place.

R6 is either a 470R resistor, or better a 1k multiturn trimmer.
how to set the trimmer kubi describes in his Einmessvorschrift (still needs to be translated)

This is the google translate result - I'm afraid the two years of german I took in High School were no help. Maybe someone with German can proof this?

prose:
The calibration procedure is particularly useful for people who have no ASY-transistor, for example because they have not bought a whole kit, but only one board. The Jensamp works equally well with a BC560 transistor-transistor instead of ASY.
But the people with the HDW-transistor can be used instead of R6 and RV6 Jensamp times calibrate their "right". The fixed resistor R6 is actually a white lie to the people who just want to paint-by-numbers, not the balance to be expected.
So, go for it ....
When the transistor and the trimmer (on the center position) are used to set a gain level 1, a low impedance signal fed into the DI input and measures the level before the output transformer with no load on the output. Please override the amplifier is not, otherwise the measurement is meaningless.
The gain between the input and the output should be for - whether or ASY BC - are 4.5 dB. This is the only gain from the electronics without the transformers, or other factors.
That's it.
Germanium transistors have a high variance during production, so I would recommend the measurement actually already.

As an example ...
By the time we play for Jensamp Volkers. As I re-measure the values ​​can not, I charge some times ...
You received the first gain stage 14 dB gain and 18.7 dB (depending on impedance) when the mob version with Lundahl there were 16.7 dB and 21.4 dB have been.
When we need to subtract 3.51 dB crowd, because that adds to the 2:3 output transformer. In Lundahl, we subtract 6 dB, because the output transformer is connected 1:2.
If without the output transformer has a gain of 10.5 dB (for 2040Ohm) and 15.19 dB (for 591Ohm) at Haufe and 10.7 dB (for 2020Ohm) and 15.4 dB (for 586Ohm) at Lundahl.
From each of the first number (10.5 dB and 10.7 dB) for the measurement, we must deduct 2400Ohm 7.932 dB, because there was a 1:2.5 transformer in the game here, making its 2.568 dB and 2.768 - each for crowd and Haufe.
Each of the second number (15.19 dB and 15.4 dB) for the measurement 600Ohm we draw from 13.932 dB, because here was a 1:5 transformer in the game, making its 1.258 and 1.468 dB - also for each mob and Lundahl.
Now we are not there yet, by the 144Ohm source and the 2.4 kohm and 600 Ohm inputs, which act as voltage dividers are a few dB before amplifier has been lost, we must add up to.
In the 2040Ohm-heap-entrance it is 0.59 dB, that is 2.567 dB + 0.59 dB = 3.157 dB
In the 2020Ohm-Lundahl input are 0.596 dB, 2.768 dB + 0.596 dB so = 3.364 dB
In the crowd-591Ohm input are 1.888 dB, 1.258 dB + 1.888 dB so = 3.146 dB
In the 586Ohm-Lundahl input are 1.902 dB, 1.468 dB + 1.902 So = 3.37 dB
So if you eliminated all outside influences, one can say your electronics amplified at a gain stage between 3.15 dB and 3.35 dB - depending on the measurement. You notice this small rounding errors and inaccuracies, in particular, because I have back Gege reefs on numbers from your table, which originated with 1% THD at your measurement. You should carry out the measurements and the calculations again with a non-controlled Jensamp and no load on the output, then it would fit. We assume, however, simply assume the numbers in your measurement would not be the limit.
3.15 dB or 3.35 dB below the 4.5 dB, which should be to see the original schematic, as it stands, ie if you had used a trimmer instead of the 470ohm resistor, you would have to rotate as long (resistance make them smaller), the gain would have increased by approximately 2.3 dB, ie electronics alone make the 4.5 dB gain at the lowest level would gain.
The difference that you have with the targeted 4.5 dB can, on a production spread of transistors - are situated in your specific case to the figures from the measurement, because it was conducted as described above at 1% THD - in particular the ASYS . I am assuming that you actually lie very close to the 4.5 dB.

This procedure makes sense for the most part - adjust the trimmer to get 4.5dB without considering transformer gain. I don't understand how to set the gain switch during the calibration however:
Please override the amplifier is not, otherwise the measurement is meaningless.

dmp said:
This procedure makes sense for the most part - adjust the trimmer to get 4.5dB without considering transformer gain. I don't understand how to set the gain switch during the calibration however:
Please override the amplifier is not, otherwise the measurement is meaningless.
yes, set the trimmer up to 4,5dB gain without transformers at the lowest gain stage.
make sure does not distort, is overdriven. ;)

I went back over my Jensamp that's been oscillating, reflowed everything and double checked all the parts are correct again and after a few gain steps I get the low frequency whomp-whomp sound. Could this be a bad transistor?

I just built up a pair of these and they work great.

I went back over my Jensamp that's been oscillating, reflowed everything and double checked all the parts are correct again and after a few gain steps I get the low frequency whomp-whomp sound. Could this be a bad transistor?

I got something like that with the first unit I built up. I had stuck it in my rack but was accidentally powering it with my 'wimpy' PSU instead of the groupDIY 51x PSU. When I switched to the good PSU, the whomp-whomp went away. So, maybe look for some problem with the power rail / PSU causing/ allowing the oscillation?

FYI: the other thing I was playing with when this happened was to see if I could get 65 dB / 70 dB with higher gain resistors. Answer: no. I tried 330 Meg and 560 Meg and the gain only increased 1 or 1.5 dB. Sees the open loop gain is maxing out? Anyway, I don't think this affected the whomp - whomp since it immediately went away when I switched to the beefy PSU.

dmp said:
I just built up a pair of these and they work great.

I got something like that with the first unit I built up. I had stuck it in my rack but was accidentally powering it with my 'wimpy' PSU instead of the groupDIY 51x PSU. When I switched to the good PSU, the whomp-whomp went away. So, maybe look for some problem with the power rail / PSU causing/ allowing the oscillation?

FYI: the other thing I was playing with when this happened was to see if I could get 65 dB / 70 dB with higher gain resistors. Answer: no. I tried 330 Meg and 560 Meg and the gain only increased 1 or 1.5 dB. Sees the open loop gain is maxing out? Anyway, I don't think this affected the whomp - whomp since it immediately went away when I switched to the beefy PSU.

I'm using it with a 51X PSU and getting the whomps still :(

Hey Volker, what would be the first thing you'd check for a unit passing no sound at all? I got a little click when I hit the XLR->HI-Z switch, thats it. Lights work. Thats about it. I have one unit working beautifully. I've checked the parts, all looking right. I re-flowed all the solder joints. Next I think I'm looking at a bad part or two. Any suggestions?

I just want to chime in and say:
WOW.

Build my pair,easy,neat,nice layout,good stuff. Volker knows printboard!
I really like them,tried on bass,vocals and acoustic git, with (passive) di,the di input(awesome!),and sony c48 and sm7 mikes. Very rich sound,somewhat easy to overload,due to my lust for level surely...(note to self.. level can be lower,always..).
Strangely they sound a bit like my tubetech mp1a, balanced and big.Less toobie ;D.A little more direct.Hmm, ok,alrite they sound like Jensamps,and that is a fantastic sound.

Thanks Volker & Co for these,very very happy!

nearly finished building.
Few components and holes left :D

I have two Wima's 0,01 . where to put these ?

C9/C12 : what goes there ?
C13: what goes there ?

andre tchmil said:

Andre, those two Wima's are your 10nf caps - C9/C12. C13 was also missing from my kit - I was able to find a bag of 330pf at a local place called Fry's for $0.80.

Happy to report mine works perfectly, sounds fantastic!

brichie said:
andre tchmil said:

thanks to hear that

Andre, those two Wima's are your 10nf caps - C9/C12. C13 was also missing from my kit - I was able to find a bag of 330pf at a local place called Fry's for $0.80.

Happy to report mine works perfectly, sounds fantastic!

finished mine , sounds good , but I have loud clicks on every gain step.
I didn't have a 330pf around for C13 , so I popped in a 470.
Could that be the problem ?

Back