JLM Baby Animal

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got the finishing touches on my BA4(labeling). Been using it for about 6 months. Everytime, they make me smile. Love the tone and the variable impedence works wonders.

www.demofactory.biz/JLM_Inside.jpg
www.demofactory.biz/JLM_Front.jpg

Everyone have a great Xmas - Especially Joe and Matt.

M

Joe & Matt - stuffed my BA channel last night - a breeze :thumb: Looking forward to getting the wiring done and having the little fella up and running.

Mark - nice work there :green: I also saw your website and your LA2A build page. Loved the RnD touch - a big part of the reason I'm building my studio is so that I can share my love of music with my kid(s). Good stuff.

Lovin' those dials yodermr. :thumb:

I'm getting some cash for christmas to buy a couple of channels of BA. I'm thinking 'clean' (just finished a G9 so am covered for 'dirty' :green: ) specifically for acoustic guitar and occasionally cello.

Any news on these BAN's? Or is there a xformer/opamp combo for the current BAs which sounds relatively uncloured?

Cheers

Nick

Edit: The BA black market thread (in which Matt apparently described different sonic characteristics of the various opamp/xformer combos) is no longer available.

Hey yodermr, looks great! Comments like that make it all worth while :grin:
Merry Xmas to you too.

astrovic, high five :green:

Godders, thats weird about the Black Market thread dissapearing. I think someone did copy and paste that post I made about the different combos and their sounds onto this thread but I dont know where...

For what you describe I dont think you want 'SSL clean' which is IMO too clean for just about anything but 'classical' music and measuring other gear :razz:
The combo Id go for if youre mostly recording acc guitar + cello is an OEP + 99V. Depending on what mics youll be using and what the guitar sounds like, you could try a Lundahl 1538 which sounds flatter in the mid range than the OEP. I do like the way the OEP tends to keep the guitar clear in a mix though.
If youre using a really warm sounding mic that needs no more warming, like a U47, try a Hybrid opamp with the 1538.

Again tho, Id pretty much gaurentee you wont find any of those combos too colored, theyre all great at capturing the music without their sound getting in the way.

M@

Very grateful for your response Matt. :thumb:

Yeah, after I posted I got to thinking about Lundahls when I noticed they fit the PCB. I use MXL 603s for acoustic guitar (not exactly warm!) but the instrument itself is very dark and 'wooden' sounding (it's a cedar top). Like you say I probably won't go far wrong with any combo.

I'll be in touch in the new year.

Cheers

Nick

Argh!

Just spent the last 2 hours troubleshooting - turns out my problem was a crappy mic lead on the output. Once I switched that, I got a full face of Baby Animal goodness :thumb:

Initial testing suggests this little fella rocks :green: :green: Looking forward to racking it up over the Xmas break and posting some pics.

Great stuff guys - a real winner.

Any reason why I can't just throw in a 5532 instead of the 99v that came with my kits just to check there's nothing drastically wrong?

I'd hate to fry the DOAs and have to send for more from Oz.

Cheers

EDIT: D'oh, of course there's a very good reason - the 99V runs on +/- 24 :oops:

I don't think you'd fry your DOA's as long as you check your voltages without them in first. Just make sure the voltages are what they should be for the configuration you want. There is a table on the JLM website just for this.

I've got one more problem before I get to rack my BA's.

I've got one channel that won't work with a 990c opamp. It works fine with the 99V. That 990c works fine in another channel. Any ideas as to what could be the problem?

Thanks,
Craig

I don't think you'd fry your DOA's as long as you check your voltages without them in first. Just make sure the voltages are what they should be for the configuration you want. There is a table on the JLM website just for this.
As long as there is not dead short on the output of the opamp or the 51R resistor from the opamp output it will be very had to do damage to the opamp. So the best test before power up is to use a multimeter and check that all opamp pins except -V pin do not show lower than 1kohm to 0v.

I've got one channel that won't work with a 990c opamp. It works fine with the 99V. That 990c works fine in another channel. Any ideas as to what could be the problem?
What voltages are you seeing over the BA PCB that is not working with the 990C plugged into it? Look for ones that are different to the overlay on the web site as this will give us the info to work out what is going on.

Just got 2 more BA boards in the mail. I have a pair of the 99v's and a pair of Yamaha/Tamura input trannies, the GA 80980. I was wondering if there is anything I need to wire up to the boards to use these trannies?

Thanks,
Adam

The Tamura transformers are not listed on the Baby Animal webpage for transformers that work directly with the pre. I need to know what I should add to it to make it work.

Adam

GA80980 Tamura input transformers are from a Yamaha PM2000 channel strips and in there design they use a RL = 150k RZ = 2.7k CZ = 470pF. You may need to add a CL of 100pF to 390pF if you get oscillation at full gain with a 99v.

GA80071 Tamura input transformers are from a Yamaha PM1000 channel strips and in there design they use a RL of 3.5k (4.7k || 2.2k + 3.3k + 8.2K) RZ = Not Fitted CZ = Not Fitted. You may need to add a CL of 100pF to 390pF if you get oscillation at full gain with a 99v.

Joe what's the measure of the hole for the gold socket in the BA boards?
or what mill-max socket should i use? i still don't get the boards so i should probably measure it!

GA80980 Tamura input transformers are from a Yamaha PM2000 channel strips and in there design they use a RL = 150k RZ = 2.7k CZ = 470pF. You may need to add a CL of 100pF to 390pF if you get oscillation at full gain with a 99v.

GA80071 Tamura input transformers are from a Yamaha PM1000 channel strips and in there design they use a RL of 3.5k (4.7k || 2.2k + 3.3k + 8.2K) RZ = Not Fitted CZ = Not Fitted. You may need to add a CL of 100pF to 390pF if you get oscillation at full gain with a 99v.

That's the information I'm looking for! Thanks Joe.

Adam
(got the boards on Monday)

Latest posts

Back