Just found out something disturbing

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no worries,  you got this. It's not a big deal. You will drink some stuff that will really clean out your insides.
Then you take a nap while they put a camera up the backside and look for things.  Try to think of it as a game.

pucho812 said:
no worries,  you got this. It's not a big deal. You will drink some stuff that will really clean out your insides.
Then you take a nap while they put a camera up the backside and look for things.  Try to think of it as a game.

Thanks pucho!, those are some really encouraging words!

crazydoc said:
Free screening colonoscopies in US for Medicare patients (everyone over 65) too.
I am not fully conversant with the details of the US medical system. Is everybody covered by Medicare?

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
I am not fully conversant with the details of the US medical system. Is everybody covered by Medicare?

Cheers

Ian
As far as I know, everyone 65 and over is covered. I believe that those who have private insurance and still want to use it can defer Medicare coverage, or use private insurance as supplemental coverage (paying for co-pays and non-medicare covered drugs and procedures.) In general, Medicare pays for 80% of covered services, and the individual pays the other 20% -a  copay.

Many preventative services are completely covered per a schedule. A screening colonoscopy is covered every 10 years, but if a condition is found (such as polyps) that needs more frequent followup, then the 80/20 coverage ensues. It's still relatively a lot cheaper than footing the whole bill yourself.

pucho812 said:

Yeah, I think the stuff they give you to put you to sleep also contains something to make you forget the whole thing  :)

crazydoc said:
Free screening colonoscopies in US for Medicare patients (everyone over 65) too.

So like I said, got Love the European Health systems,
Not something comparable to what you describe.

It's "Free screening colonoscopies" to any citizen, of any age, in most European Countries.

Here in Portugal, if I want to go to the Hospital I can go there now, see a doctor and get out and I pay 3 euros.
Gotta Love Portuguese Health system.

It's really shameful the US health system,
from the top 20 healthcare systems in the World, 17 are European Countries.

9fPoWEc.png

tYMV0M5.png

Whoops said:
Here in Portugal, if I want to go to the Hospital I can go there now, see a doctor and get out and I pay 3 euros.
Gotta Love Portuguese Health system.

Here in Mexico I don't have to pay anything, then of course I have to wait like a year for an appointment hahahahahah just kidding, but not really....

There is something I really resent about when I lived in the US, I started to feel ill, I couldn't go to the doctor because the University insurance I had was only good for major procedures, so I went to a CVS and I paid $100 USD to get checked by a nurse practitioner, not a full fledged doctor, he said that I was in the "early stages" of the disease so he didn't want to prescribe antibiotics, he literally sent me cough syrup, I paid $100 for someone to tell me to get an off the shelf cough syrup, after a week my left ear got really infected, I couldn't hear because it was so swollen, I had to go back to the clinic and pay another $100 and this time the same guy was like ok now you need antibiotics, I got the antibiotics and got better, only problem is that since then I have a very high pitched tinnitus on my left ear. That was 5 years ago and it never went away. So I was more than $250USD short if you consider the medication, plus tinnitus in one ear.

I have free healthcare here in Mexico but many times you have to wait for an appointment if its not an emergency, so if you want to go to a private doctor, for $50-$70 USD you can get a consultation here in Mexico with a full fledged specialized doctor from a top university in a premium clinic and I know they would never do something like send me cough syrup. My internist/endocrinologist is a magician, he is a military doctor with a lot of postgraduate degrees and certifications, last time I went for a consultation I paid $60USD, no insurance!

So my conclusion is this, if you don't have really good insurance in the US you are f**ked! $100USD for a  nurse practitioner from the CVS and I almost end up deaf! I don't even want to imagine how much a specialized M.D. in a private clinic or hospital would cost, $400? $500?  :eek:

Brian Roth said:
Just curious....who made that listing?

Bri

You are curious about the US healthcare system being crap compared to Europe?
Really?

If your were not aware just google "Best Healthcare systems in the world" , there will be different lists and ranking from different sources, the outcome will be all the same in all of them

user 37518 said:
So my conclusion is this, if you don't have really good insurance in the US you are f**ked!

Right.

I don't need to have any health insurance to have medical care for free when I needed it.
Being it emergency, routine appointments or even 3 surgeries I had to go through over the years.

I actually never had any medical insurance neither do I or anyone over here needs it.
The same happens in France, Germany and in most European countries.

And no, I never had to wait 1 years for an appointment, like I said I can go in the Hospital and be seen by a doctor at this exact time

Medical care in the US is big business, and that's the way it's run - to make money. If you're lucky or diligent you can find a good doctor or mid level practitioner who knows what (s)he is doing and does it for the good of the patient.

Of course, you know what they call the person who graduates at the bottom of the medical school class -

......doctor.

scott2000 said:
Do have to admit, We do have some extremely impressive hospitals here in the US

https://www.newsweek.com/best-hospitals-2021

You'll be great DF! Get well soon..

Thanks scott!

Whoops said:
You are curious about the US healthcare system being crap compared to Europe?
Really?

If your were not aware just google "Best Healthcare systems in the world" , there will be different lists and ranking from different sources, the outcome will be all the same in all of them

I didn't mean to be offensive....my apologies.  I was just asking for the source of the data so I can explore the info in context.

I know the insurance/healthcare system in the USA is a mess.  Many comments I can add, but now that I'm past age 65 and having to deal with the totally confusing aspects of Medicare I just shake my head in wonder.

Bri

Latest posts

Back