Latching vs Non-latching relays, high amount of on time, micpre PAD/48/PHASE

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwhmca

Hi Guys,

Your thoughts on latching vs non-latching relay in a high on duty cycle... It's switching the PAD/48/PHASE on a micpre type situation. It seems there might be a lot of "on time" if I use a non-latching relay. Any drawbacks to latching?

If I use latching I need/must use momentary switch for triggering it?

If I use a toggle or push button switch that latches to drive a relay that latches will I burn something out?

The reason I ask, the EAO switches that I like (19-471.035) are latching with LED illumination. If I use the non-latching EAO switch, then I'm not sure how I would get the LED to stay lit... without another relay...

> without another relay...

One relay can have 1 to 48 sets of contacts.

DPST relay, on pole for 48V, one pole for LED.

Or feed the LED from the 48V. However the LED only needs 2 or 3 of the supplied 48V, so there's considerable waste. At 5mA per LED, about 1/4 Watt per on LED.

Did you consider a "hold only" resistor in series with each relay, and an electrolytic "startup" capacitor over that resistor.
Depending on the voltage/current of the relay and supply, that "hold" resistor could be a LED/resistor.
Leo..

Hi

One of the drawbacks of latching relays is that you don't know which state they will be in when you power up the equipment....I used them for a transmission switcher for a FM radio station, once...I went back to non latching types which cope well with long on times (in my case greater than a year) without problems.

tc

Latest posts

Back