Lighter-weight vintage-style Decca Tree

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k brown

The original Decca Tree was constructed from pieces of a very heavy duty industrial shelving system called Dexion. Since Dexion is not readily available at retailers, and is quite a bit heavier than is needed for SDC mics with APEs, I bought one of these on a whim and it's sections can indeed be used to build a vintage-Decca style tree for mics lighter than M50s.

Each section is 2 1/2 feet, so two sections for the back and one for the forward arm; no cutting to length needed. Comes with clips to join two section together; the main DIY bits would be attaching the center arm (Decca used a rectangular or triangular plate; could cut one from one of the HDF shelves that come with the unit), and a fitting for attaching to a stand.

Not flimsy aluminum like some units found in home stores, but much lighter steel than Dexion. The total weight of three sections together is just over 2lbs.

The holes are 1/2". Comes painted in a nice dark grey color.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C5WKDK13?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
I haven't built one from these because I no longer use the Decca Tree, but just thought I'd pass this along.

________

The photo of a genuine Decca Tree shows the later 2-mic version favored by Kenneth Wlikinson later in his carreer, and John Dunkerley, who trained under Wilkie (photo is from a Dunkerley session).

Attachments

• shlf.png
    shlf.png
    152.5 KB · Views: 0
  • BSOTorkeSessionsOct1990_Dexion tree.jpg
    BSOTorkeSessionsOct1990_Dexion tree.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back