Line level splitter?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
please note that BIG FONT SIZE COMES ACROSS AS YELLING!

I've talked with MidnightArrakis about this before,
about the constant use of Big Fonts, writing in all Caps and using Bold all the time.
It makes us feel that he is yelling all the time.

MidnightArrakis, I know you're a good person and have great intentions, but I will ask you again to stop writing the way you do, you keep insisting in writing that way when many people already complained and even when you are helping someone it always makes that person feel that you're angry and yelling.

Sometimes using caps or bold in certain spots helps the post, but that's the exception,
You are the only person in this forum who always writes using Big Fonts, Writing in all Caps and using Bold all the time,
it's not nice for anyone reading your posts.

I'm just respectfully explaining and asking you, it come from a friendly place, hope you understand.

Chillidawg was also not nice in writing in All Caps when he was just being helped

Last edited:
I PRICED THIS 1:6 SPLITTER UNIT AT $20 WHICH IS WHAT HE COULD AFFORD TO PAY (UNLIKE THE USA, OUR NATIONAL AVERAGE SALARY IS $300/MONTH)

THE SEVEN GOLD PLATED NEUTRIK COMBO CONNECTORS ....COST MORE THAN $20.

IF ANYTHING, I DID THE GUY AN AWESOME SERVICE, WHICH HAS ALWAYS BEEN MY MOTTO IN DOING THINGS: A HAPPY CUSTOMER IS A REPEAT CUSTOMER.

With respect, Mr. Chilidawg, you do not say where you are located, so we could not factor your local economy in our answers. Nor did you indicate the low cost your client can pay.

It now appears you wish to charge your customer less than the cost of parts, in order to meet his budget, an dmake him "happy." Undercharging now, hoping to make it up later, is a poor business practice destined to fail. You will lose money on this deal, and your customer will not appreciate the favor and pay you handsomely next time. He will savor the bargain and either expect a proportionate discount again next time, or he will shop elsewhere so you cannot recover the present loss on a later project. Worse, he will (not may) disrespect you as a chump. I learned this both as an advisor to business and as a business owner, myself.

Shakespeare mentions this in "The Tempest," - "...lest too light winning, make the prize light." In other words, an easily obtained object has little value.

I understand you do not want to stockpile surplus parts at a low per-item cost, just to complete this project. I knowingly pay more for only what I need on eBay.com to avoid warehousing surplus parts purchased in bulk at lower per-piece rates. My friends all spend more money in the long run buying piles of parts they will never use to get a per-piece discount. It is a devilish dilemma, but in any case, you cannot stay in business if you do not charge the actual cost of producing the finished product. While the customer may be "happy" ... he will not become a good, high paying customer later.

If you cannot build the splitter within his budget, you may have to specify lower cost connectors and other parts, or he may need a simple Y-splitter cable until he can afford to pay the actual cost-of-goods-sold. Otherwise you are running a charity, not a business.

I believe you received good advice based on the limited information provided in your original message. Answers often vary if the facts are not as they appear. We should not have to assume facts not presented in the original background story. Just MY take. Good luck. James

PS - from your last message, it appears you have already completed the project ... is that right? JR

I've talked with MidnightArrakis about this before,
about the constant use of Big Fonts, writing in all Caps and using Bold all the time.

At the risk of being hounded out of the principality for harboring a dissenting opinion ... and while I DO appreciate Mr. Whoop's take - I do not object to Mr. MidnightArakkis mixing bold and ALL CAPS and underlining in his messages, because it easily identifies when he quotes another member, and clearly identifies his response, adding a little "salt and pepper" inflection, emphasis and accentuation to his reply. I always read his messages aloud, in a pleasant and coversational tone, to fully realize the intended tone and emphasis. - and it comes off as quite natural and conversational that way.

On the other hand, it would be rather different if he did not mix it up as he does. As Mr. Whoops correctly observes, emphasizing everything with no variation is often construed as anger or shouting. It all depends on the overall presentation. I believe Mr. MA's mix provides a realistic, conversational approach, especially read aloud in a relaxed tone. Again, it would be very different if he did not mix it up and used any particular means of emphasis too much. It is, for me, a question of overall balance.

Unfortunately, there is little personalization or differentiation in tone in this black-and-white, two-dimensional medium, and without more, our replies often sound high handed and harsh, simply because it lacks the usual body english and vocal inflection of relaxed conversation. Trying to add some literary inflection is, to me, a welcome respite from text book quality.

Um ... I THINK! / James /

Back