Long Nib Marker

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold

Cool. I never knew such things existed I bought a couple of sharpies a few days back. Wish I had known about these back then.

Cheers

ian

These long nib markers have been a giant improvement in ease and accuracy of layout. I had never heard of or seen them before until they turned up in my IG feed. The ones I ordered are close to the ones linked. They are less expensive than Sharpies and are really great for marking PCB edges and mounting holes.
Wow, good find! I could actually often use such "long nib markers". I'm going to order this today!

BTW, Sharpies are very well known in the States and are practically a generic term for this type of marker - similar to the "made in germany" Edding pen here.

Recently a shop near me offered a multi-coloured Sharpie set, which is rarely available here. I really wanted to try them out, as I've only ever seen them in YouTube videos and I like the product design.:cool:

In direct comparison, the Edding is far superior to the Sharpie - it lasts longer and the paint doesn't run out, which is really annoying with the Sharpie. Every time I use it I get paint on my fingers, is that normal or have I (probably) bought a pack of fake Sharpies?

20240116_094155.jpg

Last edited:
fwiw I recently bought some of these via AliExpress "Choice" offers. Not really tried them out apart from checking they work. Seem fine though.

In direct comparison, the Edding is far superior to the Sharpie - it lasts longer and the paint doesn't run out, which is really annoying with the Sharpie. Every time I use it I get paint on my fingers, is that normal or have I (probably) bought a pack of fake Sharpies?

Yipes - it sorta kinda almost appears you purchased a bad batch or a lousy knock off. I have never had a legitimate Sharpie pen leak they way yours have. That would be an instant show-stopper in my workshop.

I purchased a big bag of Sharpie pens for my office almost 18 years ago, and they are still good. As with batteries in clocks and other small appliances, I label them with their first service date to measure how long they last. Cheap alternatives do not measure up, and there are different global definitions as to what constitutes a "permanent" marker . . . :) JHR

Yipes - it sorta kinda almost appears you purchased a bad batch or a lousy knock off. I have never had a legitimate Sharpie pen leak they way yours have.
You confirm my suspicion that these really seem to be lousy knock offs. OMG. 😅

It's amazing that a well-known European retail chain sells such things.
That would be an instant show-stopper in my workshop.
Same here, I'm going to throw them in the bin now.
20240117_164030.jpg

I have been using the "long nib markers" with the long super thin metal tip, for a few years now. I purchased a couple different types off Amazon and some recently off Temu. They are great but expect some duds and some run dry pretty quickly. Still worth it though and you can get a bag of them for cheap.

The other marking tools I LOVE are the Markal 96270 lead holders. You can get different color leads for them as well. They have a very long nib and built-in sharpener. Not as narrow a nib as the markers though. But when you want a non-permanent line, these rule the day. I tried some chinese knock-offs and they work fine but are not nearly as nice as the Markal units.

Never really liked Sharpies, Edding is much better quality if you ask me.

For a long nib, with an Edding marker you can just pull the nib out an extra cm, you have to push it back before you put the cap on.
Some needlenose pliers will do the trick, been doing that for years.

Back