Looking for electret capsule manufacturer recommendations

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure. Might even be usefull for close miking. Nice 180° rejection, probably even better in end address configuration. Tom mic comes to mind.

Here's the new version. Flatter than the original, and significantly better 180° rejection. The only downside is low end roll off. Which might or might not be an issue. Even though it has flatter response, some might feel it's brighter due to the low end response.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25mm-Large...349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0
Do you have a link for AliExpress? The eBay listing has so many shipping exclusions, I can't even tell where it ships to because it also excludes China.

Sorry, tried to find it, but didn't make it. Must be related to the current crisis. I can't order them either anymore. Please report if you find it anywhere else.

I'm not aware of any multipatern mic that does this. You would either need auto eq compensation, or manage to break couple laws of physics.
The Neumann KM86 does this as well as the AKG C34.

I switched out the capsule in a Røde NT3 with one of these. It made a great improvement.

The backplate on this latest capsule seems to be much closer to the style of the Transound TSB2555B capsule than the capsule described at the start of the thread... certainly the backplate appears to be almost identical. There's no grill on the front though...
I've just received one from Aliexpress to try, and I have to say I think it's pretty impressive for such a cheap capsule.
I'm currently using it with the circuit I used for the notes on THIS PAGE and I have to say I think it produces a very useful good quality low noise mic -- especially at the price! :)

Attachments

• HO52.1.jpg
    HO52.1.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 30
The backplate on this latest capsule seems to be much closer to the style of the Transound TSB2555B capsule than the capsule described at the start of the thread... certainly the backplate appears to be almost identical. There's no grill on the front though...
I've just received one from Aliexpress to try, and I have to say I think it's pretty impressive for such a cheap capsule.
I'm currently using it with the circuit I used for the notes on THIS PAGE and I have to say I think it produces a very useful good quality low noise mic -- especially at the price! :)
Mine's not arriving till the 20th, but as I wait, I continue to be impressed with the 34mm JLI-3412.
https://www.jlielectronics.com/microphone-capsules/jli-3412/
Can't tell if this is made by Transound or not.

Nice to not have to mess with FET biasing - especially since I don't have a scope.

Gonna try this with OPA134 - I assume same parts values would apply?

Last edited:
Nice to not have to mess with FET biasing - especially since I don't have a scope.

Gonna try this with OPA134 - I assume same parts values would apply?

You might consider dropping the value of R4 and R5 a bit? The OPA134 draws about twice the current of an OPA1641.
It's not essential though. There should still be plenty of headroom, even with 10k resistors. You'll just drop around 20V across each one.

These beauties ('ME-10' ?) finally arrived and I'm lovin 'em! kingkorg was right - much flatter top than brass-body caps with the built-in mesh, or the 34mm electret mentioned above. And these things are scary quiet! Quite low output, though; could be because the gold (?) sputtering looks very faint. Be interesting to see if applying some voltage to them would raise the output. Low output doesn't worry me though because I would only be using them as Classical spot mics or close-micing.

It's a miracle mine work - Chinese ebay seller (maiya666 - unforunate suffix, that) dropped them in thin little ziplocs, then into a fllmsy paper mailer! Nothing protecting the diaphragms at all! Unbelievable.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Just put an 'ME-10' in my goofy 'F O N Y' mic (Sony C-37A look-alike), that I made from a modified Calrad DM15. I originally had an AT825 capsule in there Why you should never use multi pattern mics, but that capsule's now in one of my 'shrunken' BM700 heads.

Looks much more like it's inspiration now, and this flatter capsule is a better fit to a mic inspired by the C-37A.

Except for the ME-10's low end droop, the on and off axis response is pretty close to the C-37A.

Attachments

• DSCN1051.JPG
    DSCN1051.JPG
    206.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Kingkorg's response measurement.jpg
    Kingkorg's response measurement.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 0
  • C37a freq response.jpg
    C37a freq response.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Just put an 'ME-10' in my goofy 'F O N Y' mic (Sony C-37A look-alike),

Looks much more like it's inspiration now, and this flatter capsule is a better fit to a mic inspired by the C-37A

Is there a consensus this capsule has a very flat response curve? (I suppose I should not say "curve" if it is "flat" ...) I have used these low cost capsules with microphones for computer speech recognition because they seemed sorta, kinda almost sort of bright. But then, as someone else observed, perhaps that is a mistaken impression because they are not bass heavy. In any case, they work well for this application they are clean and articulate with crisp consonants, etc. Purchased on eBay for $8 delivered seems pretty good value. James/K8JHR

Since I've got an defective ME-10 at my last Aliexpress Order (Capsule "protected" only in a zip bag), I've ordered an 2nd time two pcs. here:

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005003708133709.html
They got a little more expensive in the meantime.
At 01/26/2023 the "Deutsche Post" marked the capsules as delivered in the track&trace..but I've got nothing. I've triggered an investigation there to find out where the capsules could be.
Today the parcel finally was in the post box, and it seems that they have changed something in china regarding the packaging after the many complains from the customers:

ME10-1.jpg
ME10-2.jpg

...remember: I've ordered two capsules (2). At least that compensates for the defective one from the first order.

M1.jpg

I do have some NOS gold "steamed" (plated?) PVC foil for microphones from Telefunken germany that a friend gave me years ago (severals A4 sized sheets), I just have to find them (after a move 2 years ago).
Maybe I can save the defective one too? How is the mylar membrane fastened on that ring originally, is that glued together or what?

BTW:
I've tried to repair an Gefell M58 1" Capsule with this stuff some years before, but failed. There has to be an isolation ring w/o gold around the circle perimeter of the membrane in that capsules..impossible to do. The Membranes are center tapped in the M58.
I'll send it to Thiersch maybe..

Regards,
Holm

Back