M49C circuit details / questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The third article is about the creation of the MS2 valve that had to be created especially for the M49/M50 by the small company Hiller in Hamburg, because the big valve-producing companies were unable to fullfil the task at the time.

I hope you find the articles informative or interesting but I´d be happy if they just raise a smile,

Best wishes from Bremen,
Wulf
Really great information in those articles, thank you.
By the way, I own and use a Hiller m69 small membrane microphone with the msc2 tube installed and have a backup tube assembly with another msc2 for that mic and both tubes work still within or close to their specifications, a little noisy for very quite sources but totally usable for something like a strummed acoustic guitar.
70 years after they where built, incredible...

Really great information in those articles, thank you.
By the way, I own and use a Hiller m69 small membrane microphone with the msc2 tube installed and have a backup tube assembly with another msc2 for that mic and both tubes work still within or close to their specifications, a little noisy for very quite sources but totally usable for something like a strummed acoustic guitar.
70 years after they where built, incredible...
Really? You do own a Hiller Mik? An even with a spare MSC2? - WOW!!!

... you don´t by any chance have some pics at hand? :)

best wishes from Bremen
Wulf

Really? You do own a Hiller Mik? An even with a spare MSC2? - WOW!!!

... you don´t by any chance have some pics at hand? :)

best wishes from Bremen
Wulf
The Mic looks like a typical Hiller miniature mic with the phase ring. Andreas Grosser rescued it and built a fitting power supply with the electronics and a Haufe transformer. The original aluminum membrane was shot, so he had it reskinned from Thiersch with a nickel membrane. So I have no idea if it sounds like it should, but it sounds very nice on transient sources, but is a little light on the bass.
The tube assembly is interesting as it contains the complete electronics in the m69 which is the tube and the grid resistor, as well as the plug and the spring which connects to the capsule. It is a very small microphone indeed :) The assembly seems to be an unused spare and works perfectly. It was a very lucky find on Ebay for 180 Euro....

Attachments

• IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    1.8 MB

Latest posts

Back