Mac guy needs PC advice

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruairioflaherty

Hi all,

I have a Mac Mini on 10.8 which I boot camped with Windows 7 last year to run a few PC programs.  I need to wipe that machine and start fresh.  Should I consider Windows 8? (already have purchased 7)

My needs will be simple some PCB design software, Tina TI, Quickbooks Pro and maybe some PC Audio Software - I need to demo Sequoia again early next year.

I will probably buy a separate dedicated PC laptop soon for electronics as I hope to soon have a Prism dScope for some projects I'm working on.

Any input appreciated.

Cheers,
Ruairi

I would not go with win8 - specially if I already had my needed applications working well with win7

Somehow win8 does not feel mature yet (or maybe it's me that's conservative) - and it's different enough from 7 that there's no guarantee your programs will work predictably there.

On top of that, you probably won't need any of the new-tangled stuff that sets win8 apart from win7 (like touch interface and so forth)

but, as always, YMMV...  :)

Jakob E.

Thanks Jakob. that's the kind of info I was looking for. 

I can check compatibility for specific apps but my concern is more the general stability/maturity of the OS.  I find Windows constant need to update exasperating but the Mac world is heading that way now too as it become more popular.

We mac guys are used for the OS to be simpler each time, W8 managed to be so much more complicated than any of the earlier versions, even for W users, that I don't get it. Try to look for a configuration and tell me if you find it... I know, control panel it's called, but you have to make 5 or 6 clicks and you have to look for every single one of them and if you are lucky that configuration is were it's supposed. A friend has a notebook with W8 and I've tried to help him with some audio related installation and I abandoned after a few attempts, fight you against this I said, you know as much as I do... you should look for something called 'bla-bla' or similar but I don't know.

It's just ridiculous. be careful if you get a notebook that all the drivers are out there for W7, many newer ones don't and it could be a problem.

I builded this computer and installing Mavericks was so smooth, much smoother than fighting against W8 on the virtual machine.  Mac OS license are free now, so I really don't see the point anymore on staying on W other than people is used to it. It's a pain most software useful for electronics is on W only but they are usually light enough to run on a parallels. For heavy stuff for audio I wouldn't change OS X for nothing now days. It's not for the price either, GNU distributions would be cheaper than W and better for most daily tasks if not all, so I don't get it. People is still sticking to W and we can't do nothing about it, the problem for us is some software developers still work for W and we need those software... Lucky us we have parallels.

JS

I have Windows 7 on the studio pc, Windows 8 on the new personal pc I just built. If I didn't need to purchase a new OS license for a new motherboard, I would've been more than happy using the windows 7 license I have for the studio pc.

Windows 7 replaced XP on a lot of corporate PCs when Microsoft stop providing support for XP. Microsoft has to support it for several years to come.

Windows 8 seems to be Microsofts front end overhaul to try and feel like a mac. It uses similar tricks as mac OS to make it seem faster to the casual observer, and it is better optimized for certain things than windows 7, but not too much of an overall back end upgrade.

For your needs, Use the Windows 7 you already own. if you have compatability issues with specific software you use and windows 7 now or down the road, then the upgrade would be worth it. But I would not have concerns about Windows 7 stability unless it caused issues specific to a software you use.

Wow, I've lurked on GDIY forever, but I think this is the first time I've actually posted. It's nice to actually know something about a topic on this board instead of trying to leach as much knowledge as possible.

I've just seen the Prism rig state working on W XP, Vista and 7, not earlier or 8 version. So, yes, go with 7, a lot of people having notebooks with W8 are trying to change it for 7... not all of them can do it.

JS

ruairioflaherty said:
Thanks Gents, Win 7 it is.  I'm installing later tonight.

Krcwell - welcome!  Glad you are out of the shadows.

Many thanks.

And you will be happy you stayed with windows 7.

If anyone needs PC advice, let me know. That's about the only thing I know something about that might contribute in some way.

Back