Making cases for Oktava MK-012s, and other SDCs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icantthinkofaname

Since the MK-012 came up in another thread I'm thinking about making cases for my Oktava MK-012s to protect them since I have 4 that are just in the black plastic cases. I'm thinking of building a shotgun mic case style aluminum or PVC tube, but they're tiny mics, about 4.5" with the capsules on and they have that weird capsule diameter. Any recommendations? I'm thinking cigar caddies but I want each mic to sit in its own case, and the cigar caddies I see are for 2+ cigars. I'll be making between 4 and 9 cases, because I'll likely want something for my MKH 8050 as well. They can be ugly as sin as long as the mics are well protected.

Since the MK-012 came up in another thread I'm thinking about making cases for my Oktava MK-012s
The diificulty is not the case itself. You just need basic woodworking skills.
The knack is managing foam and lining.
I've never managed to produce tight-fitting foam, but it's not terribly difficult to produce a basic shape in which the mic will be inserted. Lining will take care of fit.
There are several types of foam:
  • standard polyurethane foam is an open-cell foam that is quite hard to cut cleanly, unless using a hot wire, because it's soft. OTOH you can make the cut smaller so the mic will fit snuggly.
  • melamine foam is much more rigid so can be cut closer to the final required size
  • filtration foam is also an open-cell foam of very low density. It's graded in PPI (pores per inch). It's so soft you don't need to cut it.
For cutting the foam I use a standard boxcutter and a X_Acto knife. I consider buying some hot-knife cutters, such as these 6.94US $ 30% de réduction|Machine de découpe électrique pour mousse de polystyrène, stylo professionnel, outils de découpe pour bricolage, artisanat | AliExpress

In order to make it nice, use lining, such as
adhesive: 16.6US $ |Boîte à bijoux en velours auto adhésive, doublure en velours, protection de Surface de meubles, artisanat doublure tissu au mètre, 150cm de large | AliExpress
non-adhesive: Tissu de velours de soie par verge Vêtements Courtepointes - Etsy France

The diificulty is not the case itself. You just need basic woodworking skills.
The knack is managing foam and lining.
I've never managed to produce tight-fitting foam, but it's not terribly difficult to produce a basic shape in which the mic will be inserted. Lining will take care of fit.
There are several types of foam:
  • standard polyurethane foam is an open-cell foam that is quite hard to cut cleanly, unless using a hot wire, because it's soft. OTOH you can make the cut smaller so the mic will fit snuggly.
  • melamine foam is much more rigid so can be cut closer to the final required size
  • filtration foam is also an open-cell foam of very low density. It's graded in PPI (pores per inch). It's so soft you don't need to cut it.
For cutting the foam I use a standard boxcutter and a X_Acto knife. I consider buying some hot-knife cutters, such as these 6.94US $ 30% de réduction|Machine de découpe électrique pour mousse de polystyrène, stylo professionnel, outils de découpe pour bricolage, artisanat | AliExpress

In order to make it nice, use lining, such as
adhesive: 16.6US $ |Boîte à bijoux en velours auto adhésive, doublure en velours, protection de Surface de meubles, artisanat doublure tissu au mètre, 150cm de large | AliExpress
non-adhesive: Tissu de velours de soie par verge Vêtements Courtepointes - Etsy France
I figured the foam would be the hard part. My concern is the capsules are wider than the body. I'm trying not to unscrew the capsules much because I hear they're easily stripped, and there's a pair of mine that already don't have the best machining on the threads so I'm trying to store them with the capsules on.

I figured the foam would be the hard part. My concern is the capsules are wider than the body. I'm trying not to unscrew the capsules much because I hear they're easily stripped, and there's a pair of mine that already don't have the best machining on the threads so I'm trying to store them with the capsules on.
Then I think you should invest in a hot-wire cutter.
I have ordered two of them since my last post. :)

You can find plastic hinged boxes which have foam installed which has been partially cut through in small cubes. To make a spot for storing items you pull out the cubes of foam until you have a pocket just slightly smaller than you need.
I can take a picture later if the description is not clear enough.

You can find plastic hinged boxes which have foam installed which has been partially cut through in small cubes. To make a spot for storing items you pull out the cubes of foam until you have a pocket just slightly smaller than you need.
Pelican brand cases…they work great for this purpose

1662314974183.png
You could always treat yourself to a quality Irish whiskey , comes in its own nice case , would require lining of course .

I checked, and the cases I have are by Underwater Kinetics, I think from their "Drybox" series. They refer to the standard flat foam as "diced pick & pluck foam." This is their stock photo from the web page:
1662314618762.png

They can be a little expensive, similar to Pelican. I think I must have found a couple at a surplus shop, I don't think I would have paid full price for these.

The smallest box holds a pair of SDC mics with room for extra capsules.

I checked, and the cases I have are by Underwater Kinetics, I think from their "Drybox" series. They refer to the standard flat foam as "diced pick & pluck foam." This is their stock photo from the web page:
View attachment 97948

They can be a little expensive, similar to Pelican. I think I must have found a couple at a surplus shop, I don't think I would have paid full price for these.

The smallest box holds a pair of SDC mics with room for extra capsules.
I just went with a cheap similar style case ($50 CAD). I wanted to make shotgun mic style tube cases but that seems like a pain with the body being like 20mm but the capsule being like 23mm in diameter. I'm just gonna cram all 8 of my MK-012s in there, and maybe my MKH 8050 though I'd prefer that have it's own case (besides the stock one from Sennheiser). It should be enough since I don't plan to buy the omni or cardioid caps when Line Audio makes such good cheap stuff. I don't really trust that cheap cases are water proof so I might get throw a strip of hog's hair over them.

Screenshot_20220918_160644.jpg

The case arrived, it seems solid, but I messed the foam up. No matter how carefully I tried plucking it lots of it was sticking together resulting in 2 or 3 pieces being loosened if not completely detached at a time. I'm gonna need to make a new foam insert.

Latest posts

Back