Marshall Origin 5 heater fix

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ

GDIY Supporter
single ended 6BQ5 amp, heater for the two 12ax7a preamp tubes is dc,

customer complained vol was dropping out,

these engineers nowadays do not know anything about tubes, just Class D powered monitors that sound like crap because they no hear nuthin but $$

so what do they do? they try to heat tubes with 1N4007 diodes, can you believe it?

sure, they last for a while, until the cold cranking amps of the tubes gradually melt them away,

the ammeter was jumping up and down when powering the 6.3 circuit from an external variac set at 6.something,

all the diodes were pulled and tested good on the dmm checker, but guess what, they were bad, failing under load in a weird way, seen this before but not often,

this is something which will drive most people nuts and have them with an intermittent amp on their bench for 2 weeks,

so we did some thinking and decided to go with brute force.

get rid of the diodes and build an off board heavy duty bridge circuit with some 3 amp 1000 volt jobs that happen to come in yesterday from hoffman or mojo, i don't know, i think i have long term covid brain fog even after getting jabbed 4 times like a pincussion voodoo doll but that is another story,

leads from the diodes make good heat sinks unlike flush mounted diodes on a circuit board, diodes on the far right,

bottom line is we ran some wires directly to the tube sockets to avoid wimpy trace failure syndrome (WTF-Syndrome) to our new bridge and no more 2 amp needle jumps on our varaic in fact the whole amp works so we are in fat city....over.....

you didn't say over........ over......origin 5.jpg

Last edited:
amp sounds best when you pull the vol boost knob and dime the rest of the controls,

has an EVH Celestion in the back and a decal on the front, over...zx.jpg

Ive worked on a few Marshall 5W models ,
The tubes were shot to hell after a few years light use , thats the usual way with amps without standby ,
I have a 1972 18w , it used eat tubes alive until I put in a standby switch , Ive not needed to change the tubes since .
My Peavey nanotube 5W was the same , the electrodes of the EL84 would go all microphonic and it would start sounding like crap .
I swapped the power switch to work as a standby , heaters are energised when when you plug in the amp , again its worked without troubles since.

I had a look for those BBD's you wanted , went through one side of my storage unit , no luck yet .

Back