• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

For Sale MCI 416A Console Project - Los Angeles

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinebox

$10,500

MCI 416 console that I took in on trade for some work. I was going to restore it and put it in a room, but I am too busy with work at this point for personal projects. I have wired most of the rear punch blocks to a custom DB25 panel with Mogami. The channels are an early revision with API 440 faders. Here is part of my write up when I first went to asses it:

"This MCI is a JH416A with fourteen 400A modules and 1 400B module fitted currently. Only 8 of the I/O has been wired to the punch downs on the back terminating in db25s. The power supply is hand made but adequate, and should be plenty to power the fully loaded chassis, however the cable is very short and the fans are not completely silent. The console is missing the VU meters for the 4 mix bus and 2 cues, however the group meters were all present and functional. It has been recapped with decent quality capacitors, and the bolster has been recently recovered. There is minor cosmetic damage to the wood panels on the meter bridge. The monitor outputs are disconnected currently, so I was unable to listen to the console in current configuration, but I could take measurements through the patchbay. All 15 channels pass audio through the faders and EQs, but some outputs were unpredictable. This may be due to fatiguing edge connectors or flakey relays, which are largely original and 50 years old at this point. Levels were not all even across the board and I am unsure presently if calibration is even an option on these desks, the discrepancies may be due to the differences in the op amps from channel to channel, which are proprietary to the JH416. All the solos trigger properly, and overdubs all function, aside from one channel OD light being out. Most routing lights are not functioning besides two channels, and two channels had one dead group send each. Of the channel cue and echo sends, three channels had issues with their cue sends. All testing was measured through the patchbay using an NTI generator and Fluke DMM."
There are a few parts channels I have acquired along the way included which still have their op amps to salvage. There is a custom keyboard and monitor platform that fits if you wish to keep it short loaded at 16. This is a rad old console that you dont see many of, and I would really like to put it in a room some day but I think it would be better served by someone with more time and space.

IMG_6652 2.JPG

I hope this is appropriate to post here, but I think it would be of interest to a potential buyer.

It may be easier to refurbish this console than it appears at first glance. You would need to take a good look at the schematics to confirm, but I had a 428 that I did the following mods to, which improved both sound and reliability.

With a couple incredibly simple tweaks, like literally lifting the end of one part, and putting in two jumper wires, I was able to bypass the relays in the channel strips. Not only did it improve reliability, but it also surprisingly improved the sound as well. This essentially put the console in remix mode permanently. You could then access the mic preamps at the patch bay.

While yes, you do lose some functionality, the increase in reliability and sound are well worth it. The relays can be temperamental, and either way before assessing them, I would leave the console powered on for 24h to see if they start to behave... Anyway, I'll stop here... I have the info around here somewhere if the op or a potential buyer is interested.

Good luck with the sale, they are the hot rod of the console market.

Last edited:
With a couple incredibly simple tweaks, like literally lifting the end of one part, and putting into jumper wires, I was able to bypass the relays in the channel strips. Not only did it improve reliability, but it also surprisingly improved the sound as well. This essentially put the console in remix mode permanently. You could then access the mic preamps at the patch bay.
I designed pcbs that replace the original relays with sealed telecom relays. Much more reliable & you don't lose any functionality.

A friend/client has one of those 416 desks. Are you offering the retrofit boards for sale??

Bri
Yes. I also have PSU regulator boards, light meter extender boards & light meter driver cards. We are working on a pair of general extender cards, one for the input modules & the other for the master section modules.

Latest posts

Back