MD421 Why the headband?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably a good idea to put some felt on that top body plate that the capsule's mounted on, so sound doesn't get reflected back into the rear of the capsule - that could alter response and/or pattern.
Yes that was added as well, I learned this from Kelly! ...K, hope you're well, if you're reading this, call me sometime, would be good to chat. Bygones.

Last edited:
Record pink noise at same exact position under the same exact conditions with and without the grille. You'll see and hear exactly how the grille affects the sound.

I would include this test in every mic shootout. Much more revealing than any simple, for me mostly useless, vocal take.

Another quite important thing regarding dynamic mics. They are way different animals compared to condensers. They need a specific rear chamber behind the capsule assembly. Bass response depends on this.

One thing i learned from one of these two videos, sorry you'll have to watch both, can't remember where it's mentioned. But comes down to this. People mod sm57 and remove the transformer. What they don't realise is that they change the volume of the rear chamber by removing the hot glue, and the transformer. This messes up the low end response, and is way bigger contributor to the sound than the sound of the transformer.

https://groupdiy.com/threads/history-of-the-shure-sm7-and-sm5.81923/

And for any newusers who haven't used or held a 421 before, be careful when you're carrying them, because you will touch the button that releases the mic part from the stand part and drop the mic on the floor.

That was an AWFUL design choice on their part.
How true! Other than that obvious flaw, it’s a great microphone.

What they don't realise is that they change the volume of the rear chamber by removing the hot glue, and the transformer. This messes up the low end response, and is way bigger contributor to the sound than the sound of the transformer.

I've removed transformers from SM57 mics in the past.
People remove the glue and transformer from an SM57 because they want more bass, without the transformer the microphone looses some output (never measured it but it seems to me to be -10 or -12dbs) but the Low end is greatly increased.
So that's what people are looking by removing the transformer, changing the original sound of the SM57 and having a mic with more low end.

So what you mean is that the low end increase is not due to the transformer being removed from the circuit but more due to the now empty rear chamber (without glue+Tx) ?

Last edited:
So what you mean is that the low end increase is not due to the transformer being removed from the circuit but more due to the now empty rear chamber (without glue+Tx) ?
Never tested this, the people at Shure say it in the video. Sorry, don't know which of the two, but worth the watch anyways. I don't doubt them though, that's how dynamics work. There is of course some electronic effect of removal of the transformer, but it seems the physical effect is more dominant.

I've removed transformers from SM57 mics in the past.
People remove the glue and transformer from an SM57 because they want more bass, without the transformer the microphone looses some output (never measured it but it seems to me to be -10 or -12dbs) but the Low end is greatly increased.
So that's what people are looking by removing the transformer, changing the original sound of the SM57 and having a mic with more low end.

Irregardless of the xformer, the rear chamber, as I recall, introduces negative phase to accomplish cardioid response. ie negative feedback. This may increase bass response via cancellations. Widening or opening the rear, removing the hot glued portion, probably introduces more feedback than what it was designed for.

Back