META-Electronics 101

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey CJ I was able to calculate the resistor needed to reduce 12 volts DC to 2 volts for my G-9 Pilot led today. But I tested it first with my "Rev D" lab supply to see how hot the resistor would get. LOL just in case I was wrong. Thanks.

See I actually applied some 101! :green:

CJ

I have just been reading a text book and it states the conventional flow of current in a circuit is from the postive but electrons flow in the opposite direction, do you know much about this??

Wayne has unfortunately left the building but let's still have some EDN-links going:

Visualizing differential crosstalk  (1 page)

http://www.edn.com/filtered/pdfs/contents/images/6619023.pdf

While the writer won't have had audio in mind, it's interesting reading nevertheless. Might be of use if you feel the need to run balanced PCB traces and want to get the very most out of it.

Regards,

Peter

"I have just been reading a text book and it states the conventional flow of current in a circuit is from the postive but electrons flow in the opposite direction, do you know much about this??"

Current flow is the flow of electrons (I=amperes) and is always - neg to + positive. In a car battery for example during start-up, the electrons leave the negative terminal, travel through the chassis/frame, through the electric starter motor, through the starter solenoid and back to the positive terminal.

It is important to understand this to be able to fully comprehend how electrons travel through semiconductor material.

Hope this helps.

yes-  electrons have a negative charge, so they will move toward positive

"holes" move from positive to negative.

someone else should explain holes.

Yeah I read it! Several times actually. And like Gyraf said 22,000 views! I guess A few others are too. I actually learned more on here than working in electronics back in the day. Keep up the good work!!

Thanks,
John

i do not know if animated files are possible on the new server,

plus only one pic per post, which gets imbedded,

let me see if we can sub in something,

Back