Mic placement robot

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The basic description of robot is  "a machine which carries out a specific task".

Therefore this mechanism whether it is electronically controlled or not can also be described as a robot.

s2udio said:
Why do I need a robot,  ?

Why do you need another micpre?

When I can do the same job in 15-20  seconds ?
I prefer to pefect my art myself.

This guy can help you perfect your art.

For example. The controller I have is a basic 8 bit machine. If we limit the  X and Y travel to say 300mm then we can move the mic in just over 1mm resolution. Or if we limit the pan and tilt movement  to say 180 degrees then we can rotate the mic in 0.7 degrees resolution.  If we make the pan and tilt uber quite then we  can crate interesting phasing effects. ( Late Bob Brozman did that by turning his resonator in front of the mic while playing.) And as Abbey pointed out you can do these while sitting in the control room.

I had this idea years ago.
I think things would be more interesting if it had sensors to tell you distance and axis.
Knowing what SPL you are putting on the mic would be interesting too.
Right now it's just good for helping lazy people or people who are trying to have a faster work flow while solo.
Just my opinion, which is subject to change.
If there was a remote GUI that told you all of this, that would be pretty sweet.

On my controller there are two analogue inputs. The value of these are displayed on the control software both numerically and in bargraph (for visual stimulation). We can connect ultrasonic or IR proximity sensors with analogue voltage output.  The same could be done with the SPL info. I do not know any off the shelf SPL meter with analogue voltage output but we can always hack one and incorporate an interface.

Abbey I was just explaining the use of the analogue inputs to the controller.  Otherwise you are right.  The same info can also be extracted from the mic and interfaced to the controller. More of a novelty thing though.

Really cool! Would love to build one with the ability to control it with midi automation from protools. Never played with arduino, but I'm curious if and how this can be done?
Was checking out these thinking they could possibly work together to control a linear actuator...

http://www.e-licktronic.com/en/boards-arduino-midi-controller-diy-sequencer/10-midilickuino-arduino-midi-shield-controller-diy.html

http://www.robotshop.com/en/arduino-compatible-mega-motor-shield-1a-5-28v.html

I've been looking into this too. Seems like 'actobotics' and 'camera sliders' are worth looking into.

i would go with hobby  gearhead - DC motors...
u wont even need a controller... just supply the DC...

i builded a high speed camera dolly/arm.
DC motors i used were in  200-300-400USD range, each...

servocity was great for prototyping. and testing the basics of coding.
then i used steel rods etc... many custom cut aluminum pieces.

sahib said:
For example. The controller I have is a basic 8 bit machine. If we limit the  X and Y travel to say 300mm then we can move the mic in just over 1mm resolution. Or if we limit the pan and tilt movement  to say 180 degrees then we can rotate the mic in 0.7 degrees resolution.  If we make the pan and tilt uber quite then we  can crate interesting phasing effects. ( Late Bob Brozman did that by turning his resonator in front of the mic while playing.) And as Abbey pointed out you can do these while sitting in the control room.

u can do all that without any limitation with a DC motor. u dont even need a controller.
just supply the DC.

sahib said:
If we make the pan and tilt uber quiet...
Noise is indeed an issue.
I have built a basic prototype for use in kick drum; in order to handle the heavy kick drum mics, I had to use quite powerful motors, which turn out to be quite noisy.
I'll soon post a clip of the contraption. It's not finished yet, I have to make the electronic board, install a counterweight and finalize the mic holder attachment.

abbey  , did u try DC motor with MXL timing belt...
works wonders, and super silent.
gearheads are way too noisy...
i was going to use zero backlash heads on my robot, but noise was issue...
switched to belt/pulley... more mechanical work and parts, but it pays off :)

kambo said:
abbey  , did u try DC motor with MXL timing belt...
works wonders, and super silent.
gearheads are way too noisy...
i was going to use zero backlash heads on my robot, but noise was issue...
switched to belt/pulley... more mechanical work and parts, but it pays off :)
the way I built my thing, I don't see how I could use belt/pulleys.
Really the noisy part is the linear actuator, which uses a standard M6 threaded shaft; the rotation speed after the gears (6:1) is about 1500rpm and the noise of the flexing shaft adds to the motor/gear noise.
The other motors for pan and tilt are 3rpm after gears (3000:1), so there's just the whine of the motors.

Latest posts

Back