Microphone preamplifier for d testing

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papacharly

Hello. I am looking for a preamplifier diagram for balanced condenser microphones powered by batteries, since it needs to be portable. The requirements I need are that it has an input gain potentiometer and another to control the output volume that will go directly to the input of a headphone amplifier. The quality of the preamplifier is not critical. Since the project arises from the need to be able to listen to the most optimal placement of a microphone or pickup as a check on different instruments. This is just to find the best position. Once the correct position is achieved, the microphone will be connected to a professional audio console. This is where the audio process will actually be done.

The tricky thing here will be supplying 48V phantom power from a battery source, it'll involve some form of switch-mode step-up converter. There's a recent post here: Cloudlifter CL-1 Teardown + Custom PCB Build which gives the schematic for a Sennheiser MZA-14 phantom power adapter - it has step-up circuit based round a TLC555 as an oscillator.

An inexpensive, ready-made unit which does exactly what you want is the Zoom U-22 audio interface (U-22 Audio Interface). I have one, it has:
  • XLR input for a microphone
  • Switchable 48V phantom power
  • Headphone output
  • Gain control for mic preamp
  • Headphone level control