Midi-axe

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoberts

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
I recently discovered that an old friend (in Australia) is still making versions of his midi-bass... A bass guitar that also puts out midi data.
ir-j4-bry-burst.png

He also makes a lead guitar version.

midi instruments Products – Industrial Radio

Steve Chick the inventor is an old friend and consulted on a version of this for Peavey last century. I suspect it has only improved in the decades since.

JR

The Fretsense system takes its name from probably the most notable sensory system, ie. the wired frets. The key to fast pitch detection on Fretsense instruments is the wired neck where every fret is connected to the fret beside it along a number of channels, ie. one per string. The Fretsense technology immediately detects the position of any fret/note that is being held by measuring the conductivity between the metal frets and metal strings.

Other than the Fretsense neck the system also has other sensors including the pitch-bend sensors in the bridge and piezo pickup bridge saddles (used for trigger detection) and the optional RadioPick accessory that offers an alternative approach to MIDI triggering.

By utilising these independent, function-specific sensors in tandem it is possible to achieve a much more consistent, relaible and lower latency MIDI performance.
That's interesting because I had just thought of building a MIDI guitar with a neck of somehow wired frets.

Btw. this software looks too good to be true, how amazing is that (1:14-1:27):
https://www.jamorigin.com/

I don't play guitar but Steve Chick has been working on his midi system for decades.

Here's some video demos... steve's stuff

As I recall latency was an issue with midi note sniffers, that his active fret detection improves, but again I am not a playa.

JR

Latest posts

Back