Midi Mute Automation

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you mean that classic midi connections will disappear soon ?

By 'Classic' you mean 'real' MIDI. 5 Pin DIN optically isolated current loop ?
No - not saying it is going away. Simply that it still has to interface to the PC via some bus - USBx , PCI-e or whatever so remains susceptible to obsolescence through driver and bus specs' etc.
Of course, going back to ATARI computer - it became prominent in early music software sequencers etc. because it had an integral MIDI interface.
Showing my age now !

can we say less expensive alternative/compromise
where maximum sound quality was not essential ?
.... like low budget post production ?

I'll leave it to any designers / users of VCA automation to comment on the quality :)
VCA automation has some operational benefits - eg 'Trim' mode where operation can be around the '0dB' point for maximum control resolution.
And I recall an engineer expressing that when he moved a fader on a session at 1am he wanted it to still be there when he went back to it.
Different ways of working and preferences. This was at a top end UK studio complex so not restricted to bargain basement stuff.

I'll leave it to any designers / users of VCA automation to comment on the quality :)
VCA automation has some operational benefits - eg 'Trim' mode where operation can be around the '0dB' point for maximum control resolution.
And I recall an engineer expressing that when he moved a fader on a session at 1am he wanted it to still be there when he went back to it.
Different ways of working and preferences. This was at a top end UK studio complex so not restricted to bargain basement stuff.
Little or much VCA always affect on sound ,
depending on the chip type and how circuited .... ,

it can help in terms of automation and economically ,
but always affect on sound ,

.... and still haven't met anyone "happy" to use vca for rec and mix in studio ,

maybe some last generation vca ic will have better features
than the previous ones ,
making them a little more acceptable ,
but still don't hear about it,

perhaps because now the consoles for live often equipped with vca are digital

somewhere a thread dealt with the replacement of DBX2151 with That 2180
what better substitute , with much better performance ,
and that for analog consoles of a certain value ,
specially the hi range of analog consoles for live ,
the modification would make sense ,

even if the cost of the modification ,
more for the work needed than for the cost of the vca , was not low.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back