Mix through GSSL

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks, blasrocks

http://www.zshare.net/download/774082253d3c4739/

44.1k 24bit

edit:
I did this in logic8, using Trilian for bass, Superior2.0 for drums, my k2600 for the keyboards, strat through Amplitube2, nothin' on my tenor 'cept reverb/delay.

Hi Mullet chuck,
I'm digging your songs on myspace! really chill. You care if I send the mixe through a 1176DIY? gotta feed it once in a while
Cheers
AC

abe, go right ahead.   hope you don't mind, I added you to my buddy list.  

blasrocks.   pardon my ignorance, but I know it sounds better, but i can't describe how.   it just seems like 3-4db louder.   can I get some feedback regarding what exactly sounds different?  

perhaps if the GSSL version were the same volume as the original, i'd be able to quantify the differences better.    

I definitely need to build one of these things...

edit:   ok, it seems like it's 3-4db louder WHERE IT COUNTS lol     all the instruments have more detail, though the mix is a bit punchier than i expected.   sounds freakin' great on my Wharfedale Diamond 2.8As (cheap  :()

Hi,
here is the mix ran through 1176s  definitely a different sound than the SSL. I dig both the SSL or 1176 on the master buss. I ran it out Mid/Side because my 1176s because my 1176s are not technically stereo linked yet...still gotta buy some more stuff. but the mid channel was set to attack around 2 o'clock and release about the same. and the side channel was set for all they fast attack and fast-ish release...you can really hear it working. :Thumb: its amazing how good "fake" drums and bass can sound now a days. and of course real sax to hold it together!

AC

whoopss sorry heres the link www.acsoundstudio.com/DIY/untitled1176song.mp3

another edit - if you want to build one of these you came to the right place...go check out the black market and get some PCBs, they are cheap and once you have the PCBs then you can worry about the rest of the parts. If you have never worked with electronics before I can tell you once you get the hang of it its definitely easier than playing Jazz!  :)

On the maybe tomorrow mix you're hearing 3 sources of reverb. All tracks recorded in a large room with like 16' high ceilings. My overheads are placed pretty far away and I also had re15 mics pointed in two corners as room mics, and compressed those heavily and snuck them in at low level where I wanted thunder via automation.

The guitar stereo pair was also in this room - separate takes - and placed farther away from the guitar than most people place mics in front of guitars.

The reverb in the mix are an old orban spring reverb on snare and some vox, the Renaissance reverb also on box and on snare shell mic, and also used elsewhere.

I had to really bust my ass to get that big deep soundstage and man the gssl does exctly what I am looking for!

The band had this song produced a little further down in Philly and that engineer took it in a different direction with tighter, punchier, and less big drums and more produced vocals, adding some other elements.
They did a good job and I can't post it here, but I like both mixes. They're differnt interpretations.

But for what it's worth didn't get any complaints on the tracks when they went to a "pro" place!!!

But thanks for the compliments, means alot to me coming from you guys.
And I would love to hear an 1176 on this if someone has the time!!!

I think the gssl is getting bumped up. I have the turbo board. Is that enough or do I really need the super sidechain to get the love?!

I think you'll find the SSL sounds great  just stock, I have one stock and one with a high pass filter in the side chain. Granted I've never used the super side chain, So I might not know what i'm missing but I find both ssls i have totally usable and can always add the different side chain mods later.
Thanks for the info, I really want to get a spring reverb now! :-D (been wanting to for a while)
I'll run your mixes through the 1176s!
AC

I'll warn you in my humble experience these spring reverbs, at least this orban, really sounds like a spring, and works best subtly behind the mix, instead of as the sole reverb up front...
Just my 2 cents!! I'm on a remote so I can't listen to the oter gssl passes but I will tomorrow!

I think it's really interesting to note the EQ characteristics that each compressor adds to the mixes;   Abe, your 1176 vs blasrocks' GSSL.   they both blend everything together in different ways.  

what do these projects cost for everything?  

Yea, the 1176 adds this "warmth" and excites the high end, probably because of all the 3rd harmonic distortion from the FET , and the way it compresses. When I built my ssls I built 2 at a time, same with the 1176, I figured if I'm going through the trouble of paying for one set of parts might as well get enough for two.(like some of the parts your get a better price of you buy more than 10, like 3 cents instead of 6 cents a piece or whatever). IF you can score a cheap case and transformer on ebay or somewhere it will really help the cost of your build. I get lucky on ebay buying weird rack mount equipment that nobody wants because nobody knows what in the H it does. Like old radio or laboratory test equipment. As long as its rack mountable your golden, sometime they have power transformers inside that work too. you are looking at around $300 bucks for 2. Granted if you buy EVERYTHING new your looking at upwards of $500ish. like you could spend 100$ on a case and 100$ on a meter alone and 50$ on a power transformer if you wanted to. but a lot of things you can get by with if your smart. Like free samples from TI. that can save you $$. The 1176s are a little more in depth of a build because all the amplifiers aren't op amps they are all discrete transistors. And if something doesn't work right on the first fire up, it might be a little harder to pin point the problem then if something wasn't working on the ssls. When you consider you'll spend a decent couple of weekends putting everything together. But its really rewarding. Your learning stuff which when your said and done with it, is worth the price of admission alone! And I find my Gssls add a whole new dimension to how I think about audio recording. I can compress on the way in ( which for me really sounds unique aif I s opposed to record it then put it through, It might just be all in my head, but I do treat it differently) Compress all your drums together, and you can put on on your stereo buss, or just use one side of it to compress a bass, or put a kick through the left side and a basss through the right side to bet your bottom end solidified. I mean the options are there. I mean from going straight ITB to out its real nice to use real equipment. Sounds maybe a little ignorant to some people that started recording in the Analog then went to digital or whatever, but for me I started in the Digital and am going analog. Plus there is a wealth of information here about the Gssl build. These guys rock

AC

Hey riggler,
ohhh good old remotes....used to love getting paid to give away free stuff!
yea definitely wouldn't want to use a spring up front! unless for special effect or something, but I love the boingy vibenessssss. Speaking of boingy vibeness heres the 1176, I had to run it MID/Side cause my 1176s are technically stereo linked yet. I really kinda pushed the 76's hard (in retrospect probably too hard) but it will give you a good idea on what they sound like (mine at least) I used 4 to 1 on the mid channel and then pushed in all the buttons for the side. You can hear the drums really pull down the compression so if this were a real mix buss there would be compinsasion, but lke I said its just to demo the 1176s.
Enjoy!
AC

www.acsoundstudio.com/DIY/MaybeLess1176.mp3

Wow guys, you all beat me to it.  ;D

Nice song - some great sounds and nice recording techniques here.

Since the basics for the GSSL look like they are already covered, I got creative.

Pass 1 = GSSL threshold 0 / 2:1 ratio / 4db compression approx / release auto / attack .1 / SuperSC 60hz

https://download.yousendit.com/dXFWOU1ZQTZ0d0UwTVE9PQ

Pass 2 = linked and balanced dual 1176's approx 3db compression / 4:1 ratio / fast attack / release at three oclock

https://download.yousendit.com/dXFWOU1jNnlCSWZ2Wmc9PQ

Pass 3 = linked and balanced dual 1176's approx 2db compression / 4:1 ratio / fast attack / release at three oclock + GSSL 4:1 ratio / 4db compression approx / release auto / attack .1 / SuperSC 130hz

https://download.yousendit.com/dXFWOU1jNnloeWF4dnc9PQ

mac

abechap024 said:
Colin Sanders. Brilliant. is he still alive?
AC
Sadly, no.

Like Colin McRae, he was a keen pilot, with a rotary wing license. He died in a crash in 1989.

I met him several times, and he -TRULY- was Brilliant. -Humble, modest and pragmatic. He regularly -quietly- gave considerable sums to several charities.

His wife now runs an innovation centre in Banbury (yes... near the famous cross!) founded in his name.

http://www.banburyguardian.co.uk/news/Musical-legacy-of-inspired-inventor.1222040.jp

Keith

Mulletchuck I LOVE this tune, everything about it!!! I'd love to play some drums over this if you'd be game. Man that's some great writing and playing, like brecker and Dave koz in one, but with a groovin backbeat!

The 1176 examples so far are very full and thick. My eyes are starting to open on where I would use either the 1176 or the GSSL. This is great!!

Hey AC,
which build are your 76's? Also, mullet what mic did you use on the tenor sax?

My dual g1176 are "j" boards with selectable Op Amp and Lundahl inputs, and Ed Anderson outputs. I had it set to Lundahl 1540's input for the pass I posted here.

Mac

riddler, thanks man.  I spent some serious time programming those drums and bass on it.  If you want to take a whack at it, i'll post a version with no drums.  but you better have some serious r&b pocket, man...

Back