"MK84" or KM84 in an Oktava MK-012 body

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
quick listen with speakers on my desk, they sound similar. I will have to listen in the studio on some good monitors.

quick listen with speakers on my desk, they sound similar. I will have to listen in the studio on some good monitors.
Yeah, once they're level-matched, the differences are subtle. This is only a change in head amp circuit after all, so I expected them to be similar. I do hear differences though, and a null-test confirms that there are differences.

These two parameters can not come from the circuit itself. If they are there, they might come from slight mic placement difference and/or slight capsule variation.
I switched placement (up/down relative to source) and capsules between takes, and the lift followed the circuit. Not sure how to explain it, but it’s there.

Could be some reactive loading by the transformer on the tube maybe?

Could be some reactive loading by the transformer on the tube maybe?
Can't be that range specific. But when it comes to pure frequency response and placement interaction, literally millimeters of difference can make quite large deviations. That's why shootouts like this are very tricky. Not to take away from your effort, to me both sound great, but they definitely have different flavors. Great job!

FWIW, I modded two pairs of MK012, one to an adaptation of the 'First Watt' B1 Buffer (2SK170BL with constanat-current load), and the other pair to the Royer 5840 cathode follower (both pairs with transformerless out). Both sounded noticeably better than the stock circuit (which were bought 20 years ago) but I could never tell the difference between the B1 buffer pair and the CF pair.

https://www.firstwatt.com/b1.html

Latest posts

Back