Multimeter??Which one??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedNoise

Hi guys!

Sorry if this has been discussed before , but : what portable multimeter would you advice??

I'm looking for a usefull machine , I already own a fluke 117 which didn't "read" pF , or I need it (matching / pairing little capacitors)
Metrix have a very interesting one (MTX3283BT) but do not nor seem to read pF...
http://fr.farnell.com/1111467/test-mesure/product.us0?sku=metrix-mtx3283-bt

Help appreciated!
Thanks.

[quote author="RedNoise"]Sorry if this has been discussed before , but : what portable multimeter would you advice??[/quote]
What do you need it for? That Fluke 117 looks like a nice GP model, although it does lack capacitance and transistor hFE measurement. If you feel you need those frequently, a specialized instrument may make more sense.

[quote author="RedNoise"](matching / pairing little capacitors)[/quote]
Most multimeters are not much use as pF-scale capacitance meters other than giving a rough estimate, mostly due to the large and varying capacitance of standard measurement leads. If you find yourself needing to do this often, a tweezer-type capacitance meter may make more sense. This is one example of such an instrument, note that I have no personal experience with this make/model.

In audio circuits we often don't care too much about the absolute value of passives, as long as it's possible to start with a pile of similar parts and select a pair (or quad, or...) with values close enough together to avoid stereo image shifts and the like. For this purpose you can build yourself a simple Wheatstone bridge. Rod Elliott has a brief explanation of the procedure on his site (scroll all the way down).

JDB.

Hi JD , thanks for the reply...
As you certainly guess I'm noob!

I often travel here and there , that's why I'm looking for a portable MM.

I'm pairing resistors and capacitors (maybe "stupidly") to get similar values for stereo machines.(Interesting or not??)

I forgot to mention I also look for capacitance and transistor hfe functions...

No dream machine??Ahahaahah...

Every advice appreciated towards needed machine to "evaluate" DIY projects.(Oscilloscope , RMAA...)

Are they all that expensive? that one is over 700 euros and the ones I see online from fluke are more than $400. Im using a home despot electricians meter that works, (we have a great capacitance meter in the shop) but Im having trouble justifying such an expense to my boss and myself. My last new fluke was $75, (20 years ago!) wish I still had it. Its like cars, paying for a new car is unfathomable to me when a decent used car is half price.

The standard recording studio tech meter has been the Fluke 8060A for over 2 decades now. True RMS, dB to hundredths, and frequency counter good up to 100k make it so. My first meter lasted about 20 years from new, traveling in my kit. Now I have three bought from ebay.
They go for under $100 used in great condition on ebay. NOS are $275.
Since DIY is more bench based, I would figure you can do with a few different one-trick meters for measurements. The 117 is a great start.
Mike

Ok guys , thanks for the advices!!
My aim is not to get the expensivest one , I just would like an "all in one" , and don't want to buy a new one each time I progress (learn) and need a new function...I was very bored to "discover" my 117 couldn't mesure pF...
Ok , if I keep the 117 , what is the best and complete machine to mesure pF , Hfe and capacitance , dB , freq....(My prefered choice wd be a portable , but if there isn't , I will take a "table" one.Maybe an oscilloscope , I really do not know what I need!)
Again , thanks for your help guys!

Back