My Yamaha M1516...do I sell or modify more?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it is run off the bipolar 24 rails. soundwise it evens out the soft mids quite a bit.

-justin

Hello.
Djgout says  **and added some transformers right after the pan buffer amp for balanced direct outs on the first 8 channels.**
What kind of transformers?
Did you put a line amp or just a line xformer?
Thank`s

Hi there!

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I am about to buy a M-1532, unmodified, and I'd like to know if someone came up with a good recipe to have the best summing section possible with this console (or a M-1516).

I oubviously read the whole thread but it seems like it is hard to get some Sphere summing cards.

Thanks for any help!

Guillaume

Do you have a schematic?  I think gar381 has some sphere stuff, and even remade the amp boards IIRC.  But that's probably not the only way to go. Maybe some jensen 990C, or whatever else.  PPA opamps. etc.  But, think about IF you want to get a board that you don't like with the intention of modifying it... what if you don't like it after the modification either? 

Thanks mitsos!

Apparently, the M-1532 (M-1516) have some pretty darn good preamps (same input trannies as the PM-2000).

They have Toshiba TA7322P op amp for line input and they are also good from what I read.

The EQs are Okay, but can be mod for better action.

The "problem" with those boards is that the buss amps make things a little "cloudy" especially in the mids...

On the PM-2000, mods can easily be made cause they have the 80100 op amp on every program out. Same pinout as the API and Joe Hardy stuff. The M-1516/M-1532 have the same components contained in the 80100 but on a open PCB instead of in a potted can (80100).

What I'd like to get is a pair of summing buss that would be as transparent as possible, and keep the other pair stock.

The schematics can be dowloaded here: http://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_m1524_m1532.pdf/download.html

As you probably noticed, I am a newbie and I'd like to buy this board to experiment and do some mods on certain channels, and learn from that. For the moment I have a Soundtracs Topaz wich I quite like and a couple of outboard pres (Ward Beck).

I track to tape with either an Otari MX-5050 8 track or an MCI JH-24 24 track.

Thanks for ANY input!

Guillaume

nice, I didn't know you could download from that site. Thought it was a paid site. 

Anyway, my comment :"what if you don't like it after the modification either? " still stands. 

I didn't really look deeply, but I would think these summing amps are the inverting "virtual earth" type.. Same as API.  IMHO, you'd be better off buying the classic api summing PCBs with your choice of opamps, and then, if you really want the yamaha preamps, buy the board for those.  You'll be able to stuff those API circuits in there somehow if you choose opamps that can run on +/-24VDC (in other words, don't use 2520s, but maybe a 990 or something from PPA). 

Bottom line, it's possible to do, if you have the time and energy to devote, but only you can decide if it's worth the effort.

good luck.

Really, I have two of these mixers, and also many extra channelstrips. If you give them some love, specially recapping all the channels with new electros, you would be amazed as how this mixeer can perform. The discrete circuit sounds great, and the Toshiba audio opamps are very far from bad. I have  also many boutique preamps, and these are on par with equipment costing many many times over.

It is totally worth to recap, cleaning connectors and pots and have this mixer going on as new again. YMMV. But that is my "IMHO". Yamaha made great and affordable gear at the time.

I should have mentioned I've never used these things to record.  My comments were based more on common sense, trying to avoid buying due to internet hype (which old yamaha boards have lots of, maybe well deserved).  I am curious about them though, from the PM1K, 2K, onwards.  Wanna send some of your extra strips to SP?  ;)

Actually, I am looking for a PM-2000, but they seem really hard to get and for a reasonable price. So I am just heading for a M-1532/ M-1524/ M-1516 wich apparently has:

- Same mic input transformers and Opamp (Tamura GA80980 + NE80200)
- Same line input Opamp (NE 80100, BUT not in a can but built out on the PCB)
- Same line output Opamp (NE 80100, BUT not in a can but built out on the PCB)

Most notable differences are:

- M-15XX has less features , especially on the routing
- has unbalanced direct out (-6db?!) via Send of the inserts instead of +4 transformer balanced for the PM-2000...
- Different output transformers (M-15xx = Tamura GA81720, PM2000 = Tamura GA80990)

Anyone has the schematics of the PM 2000 so I could verify if this is all correct?

Thanks!

Guillaume

wow, look what google has... looked for this ages ago and couldn't find it..

http://www.rylandbouchard.com/files/PM2000-Schematics.pdf

Latest posts

Back