Need advice for improving isolation in miking a string bass live on stage. Jazz mostly

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I play the acoustic upright bass in a jazz trio + 1 or 2, and we routinely make multitrack recordings of live gigs...The issue is bleed from the grand piano on the right and drums on my left and probably my monitor on the floor behind me...If you are willing to share any tricks or suggestions on how to keep the drums and piano out of the mic without blocking the view of it from the audience please share. If I can drop them by 10db I'd be happy. The drums are the main issue. The drummer uses his kick like a rock drummer.
My favorite "trick" for isolating any LF instrument is to close-mic with a fig8, then attenuate its LF. Being closest, the desired instrument is boosted in LF by proximity effect, but other more distant mics are not. Then when you attenuate LF, the desired instrument is rendered flat, and the more distant ones are heard to recede. Affects all sounds below about middle-C. - Robin Miller

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back