Need Help with V1 of Green Pre??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you think I come here and ask questions without first looking for the answer on the Forum or the Net?? Well I allways do reasearch first and come here as a Last resort...

I wouldn"t ask the question unless I really needed an answer that I could not find anywere else...

Like I said in my earlier Post I did a search and I got conflicting information and none of it related to this specific project (V1 Green)...

If I look at the PCB It looks like all 3 Pins are Connected to Ground and it also loks like all 3 pins are getting Power....So I can not figure it out myself....

I got 2 channels allmost completely finnished accept for the PSU and Lorins includeing etching my own PBC"S before I asked my First question so I thought I was doing OK for a Person who has never touched a Soldering iron before but Now I guess I must be stupid because I can not figure this out ....

I just can not see why it is so hard for someone to tell me something like "Hole "A" goes to Pin 1 and Hole "B" goes to Pin 2 and Hole "C" Goes to Pin 3 or whatever the correct answer is...
There are up to 9 Possible combinations and I am afraid that I will fry something or ruin my PCB"s if I try to deduce it on my own and then I might still get it wrong .....

I seriously don"t know what I have to do to just get a straight answer...

Please ,I am begging you, On my hands and Knees Begging you...PLEASE!!!

:idea: Minion, i know it is hard to build a thing like a micpre if you do it the first time, therefore i think people here around are very friendly with questions asked about a hundred times and more...
This green MKI was my first project and for sure the most rewarding one, exactly because all the questions that you asked here. (I had them, too...all of them...) These have to be answered, IF you can't fiddle out for yourself. (That's to be preferred...)
I think that's the point.
It would be easy to look into the box. See how it's connected. Just as easy as it would be for you to find out where ground is. Nothing more needed. Tie ground to ground pin. If you want to know which the ground pin is, google for 'XLR'. Connect the signal pins to the other ones. wire up an On-On-Switch between PCB and XLR, so you can exchange the signal pins ('in phase [to the incoming signal] - out of phase [of the incoming signal]'). There you are.
If that's all you need to have a GREAT sounding pre you WILL figure it out (or just TRY out).
That's the way i did it. If you are 98% done, don't hesitate to finish. Find out where your ground is. Connect. That's all.
You will be amazed if you got that one running.
If you got everything else running, connecting the XLR pins is the easiest part.
BTW: Ground is downside. (XLR)
:grin: Just do it! :thumb:

Don't forget to post when you got it running.

People here have been friendly to you, their 'riddles' try to help you. We just do not have 'wiring instruction catalogues' in our brains and are not able to open up our working boxes again and again. There's no unhelpful attitude in this. Most of us have their gear simply in use when built!

I hope this clears things up a bit.
I hope you can solve your wiring problem now...
Best wishes...

...and happy DIY :thumb:

Martin

OK, to be even more helpful: Ground is the middle hole. Almost everytime. For in and out. so in case of a short...(fiddle out yourself)
Now get it running.
(This was my first self etched audio pcb too. And sounds wonderful. Even with *all* junk/used components.)

Hi Minion,

If you check the schematic you can see that the plus (+) input, U3, connects to C1/C1a, and the minus (-) input, U4, to C2/C2a.
On the PCB you can see that pin A connects to C1 and is therefore the plus input, pin C connects to C2 thus being the minus input and that leaves pin B for ground.
Using a standard XLR-configuration you would connect it like this:

A -> 2 (+)
B -> 1 (earth)
C -> 3 (-)

Adios,
Corneel

Latest posts

Back