Neumann km 184 repair

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aasgeirs

Hey I'm looking for someone who already opened and repaired a Neumann km 184 microphone, any tricks or tips combined? how to trubleshoot etc.

Cheers
Oscar

Are you sure we are talking about the KM181?
I just searched the Neumann website but I couldn't find a microphone with that type number.
Of course I know the KM183, 184 and 185.

The KM18x is all SMD components inside!
And Neumann isn't very willing to share schematics of the KMS series...

Attachments

• neumann km184 - inside views.jpg
    neumann km184 - inside views.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 84
aasgeirs said:
Hey I'm looking for someone who already opened and repaired a Neumann km 184 microphone, any tricks or tips combined? how to trubleshoot etc.

First you should do to troubleshoot is letting us know first what is the problem you're having with your mic

probably best to take it to a Neumann service center near you...most likely if there is a problem in the electronics they will just replace the full PCB. as you can see it's not very user serviceable.

outoftune said:
probably best to take it to a Neumann service center near you...most likely if there is a problem in the electronics they will just replace the full PCB. as you can see it's not very user serviceable.

Why is that?
You don't even know what the problem with the microphone is!

There's a lot of easy serviceable parts there, it just depends what is going on on what might need to be fixed.
More info from aasgeirs is needed

Unfortunately there is truth in this message. (Although we still dont know what is wrong with the KM184.)
In all cases I heard about customers sending their microphone to Neumann, they did one of these things:

- Replace the microphone capsule
- Replace the complete PCB

Don't expect Neumann to repair a microphone on component level!

RuudNL said:
(Although we still dont know what is wrong with the KM184.)

Thats the most important part, could be as simple as retouching the solder on the XLR pins...

Or the capsule contact pins also.

pretty easy things to do

Whoops said:
Thats the most important part, could be as simple as retouching the solder on the XLR pins...

Or the capsule contact pins also.

pretty easy things to do

if the person asking the question didn't know to check for these things, i highly doubt they're capable of doing SMD rework on a mic without a schematic. plus as you can see in the picture a lot of the components are covered in epoxy. replacing the full PCB instead of doing SMD rework is generally the standard in commercial audio products.

RuudNL said:
The KM18x is all SMD components inside!
And Neumann isn't very willing to share schematics of the KMS series...

Thanks RuudNL, the photo gives a better idea of how to open it up without breaking it even further.
:)

two years later i wanted to vindicate the OP. I took mine apart and saw very little wrong, except that the big capacitor(?) that held the metal tad that touches the capsule was tilted. Apparently mine was not making good contact. I bent it to put the metal contact point back to center to make good contact and it fixed it!

Repairs would've been $400+ I bet. Never be scared to take something apart! The naysayers are ridiculous. Too much fear in these people.

Got a great deal on a "for parts" KM184, works fine under power but oscillates while discharging (at pretty darn hot levels, for 15mins plus) when phantom power is off. Based on the SMD nature of things it's unlikely I'll be (capable of) repairing it myself assuming it's a failing capacitor.

Ultimately the mic works fine, it just gets dangerously loud when not powered and will retain charge a surprisingly long time for a good jump scare plugging back in.

That said, any tips for troubleshooting or should I just wait until it stops doing the actual microphoning part and then worry about it?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back