Neumann M49 Clone : Build Thread Puck Style (TLM49 Conversion To M49 b-c)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, it was a bit of running around for me. If I hadn’t already had the body, I would have stopped at the one.
I have 2 relatively similar 49s. Need to find a way to mount capsule in the micandmod body lower. It’s challenging because the mic hardware puts the capsule pretty high. My mount is short(7/8”) I’m gonna try to put some standoffs on the top board to see if I can buy an inch with a standoff

Yeah, it was a bit of running around for me. If I hadn’t already had the body, I would have stopped at the one.
I have 2 relatively similar 49s. Need to find a way to mount capsule in the micandmod body lower. It’s challenging because the mic hardware puts the capsule pretty high. My mount is short(7/8”) I’m gonna try to put some standoffs on the top board to see if I can buy an inch with a standoff
I also shortened the M&M M49 standoffs. I re-bent the 90 degree angles, re-drilled both mounting holes. Very simple.

Attachments

• PXL_20230514_090845618~2.jpg
    PXL_20230514_090845618~2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
I had the chance in the past to compare some of my mics with real U67's and U47's to favorable results. It's interesting to hear them back to back. With both of those mics, we heard more variation in models than in the "real" vs "clone". I had access to Paul Allen's studio, and he had multiple mics of pretty much everything, as well as a world class studio to listen to them, so it was a great atmosphere to do that. Paul has passed, so the studio was shut down. I'd be really curious to hear the M49 variants. I really like mine with the 5840, and it has a nice full range. Neither seems peaky at all in the high end. In fact, I tend to put a bit of high end on mine as a rule to boost that 5k +

I'm mostly using Dany's BOM, but plan to build my PSU out on tag board. Anyway, this TBone PSU case looks nice and i can use the power inlet, probably the power switch and maybe even the connectors.
https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_t.bone_psu_retro_tube_ii.htm

The schematic is on this page:
https://groupdiy.com/threads/alctron-bv300-t-bone-retro-tube-ii-to-half-of-akg-c24-mod.47042/

I'm curious if i can utilize the power transformer, to bring down cost further. In fact, it looks like two power transformers to generate B+ and heater? It would be very nice if that TBone transformer had what it takes to power both B+ and heater, assuming I'm using the M49B PSU schematic on the first page of this thread.

Does this seem like a workable plan?

Latest posts

Back