Neumann M49V tube mistery...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

granger.frederic

Hi,
it seems like Neumann has released the M49 reissue.
There's a lot of speculation around the tube .
Some say it's a 6S6B-V or 6S7B-V, others say it's not those...
Does anybody have some details, i'm curious to have your feedback...
Regards
Fred

Since there are absolutely no mention to the tube type or who made them, guess its nothing new, cheap, and something to not be proud of now (because of the war), like a Soviet or Russian made tube.
Since 6S6B have been widely used without any complains of the reliablilty for some years by different companies and even Neumann themselves (if I'm not mistaken), my guess it is the tube.

Edit:
https://en-de.neumann.com/product_files/11224/download
Max. output voltage......................................–8 dBu
Pattern control unit......................................... NM V
Vacuum tube type.............................. select. triode
Plate voltage ................................................... 120 V
Plate current ................................................. ≤ 1 mA
Heater voltage................................................+6,3 V
Heater current...........................................≤ 200 mA
Tube warm up time ......................approx. 1 minute

Some photos:
https://static-neumann.s3.amazonaws.com/img/4136/x2_desktop_M-49-V-Website_06.jpg

Attachments

• M49v tube.jpg
    M49v tube.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Here are some pics, I’m not a tube expert by any means, but the 6s6b looks exactly like the new tube.

Edit… First pic from KH website.

Attachments

• 4FF6E58E-148A-4AC2-8FAB-EE0B6623BFA6.jpeg
    4FF6E58E-148A-4AC2-8FAB-EE0B6623BFA6.jpeg
    701.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 2E824369-771E-4339-B3F3-E017602F4391.png
    2E824369-771E-4339-B3F3-E017602F4391.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 9
  • BE466FF2-A657-4FAB-9EE3-0D57724491D8.png
    BE466FF2-A657-4FAB-9EE3-0D57724491D8.png
    13 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I found KH comments on the tube a little odd (not implying he’s being dishonest).

Said first tube looked like 6s6b, but he could see the lettering and it wasn’t. Could it be a 5703 (equivalent tube?) but he’s not aware? Then he said the replacement tube had all lettering removed and he couldn’t tell if it was the same tube or not. So ultimately, no conformation or denial on 6s6b being the tube in the final product.

Probably they don’t want people start hoarding 6s6b and driving prices up? Especially with current Russia situation?
Here’s the thing though, and my main interest in the whole topic.

By demonstrating this is a viable alternative for a 701, not only could it be a huge benefit to the vintage mic community, (in need of tubes for repairs) but also would prevent hoarding and driving up the prices of original 701’s.

I’m sure Neumann has enough of these to cover the handful of these they’re building per batch and it’s upkeep. If it were a rare or exotic or expensive tube, they wouldn’t have used it to begin with.

Here’s the thing though, and my main interest in the whole topic.

By demonstrating this is a viable alternative for a 701, not only could it be a huge benefit to the vintage mic community, (in need of tubes for repairs) but also would prevent hoarding and driving up the prices of original 701’s.

I’m sure Neumann has enough of these to cover the handful of these they’re building per batch and it’s upkeep. If it were a rare or exotic or expensive tube, they wouldn’t have used it to begin with.
I get your point, the sad thing is Neumann has to include it in their product for people to realize it's a good one. These have been available for ages, easy and cheap to buy, and people managed to find flaws nevertheless. There are many more good models, sitting around, waiting to be used, amazing tubes... You don't need Neumann to demonstrate they are viable alternatives.

A little off topic
I wonder if the capsule mount could be changed to a rounded shape under the capsule vs the flat or if some damping could help.
Might be something to investigate would the above make it "better" or worst or is the flat plastic a big part of the M49 sound?

Latest posts

Back