Neumann Vintage U87 Clone : Build Thread.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marcocet said:
atticmike said:
anybody tried either the:

http://www.aurycle.com/aurycle-a570t-large-diaphragm-multi-pattern-condenser-microphone.html

or

http://www.aurycle.com/aurycle-a630-large-diaphragm-studio-condenser-microphone.html

because they got all the switches needed?

I built a pair with the aurycle kit bodies, and I'm planning to build three more with the 570's when they come back in stock. I don't mind losing the low cut, but having the markings for polar pattern and pad right next to the grille means I can paint the bodies more easily :)

did they say when they're back in stock?

Mike

atticmike said:
Marcocet said:
did they say when they're back in stock?

Mike

They told me six to eight weeks last week.

wtf, that sucks, for someone that hasn't built one yet :D

I Have a complete Kit for sale here the aurycle mic body the hard case the shockmount ,
1 pcb sets and a cm-2480 transformer into a bundle , if anyone is interested  Let me know, 
Dany,
'

Attachments

• mic kit.jpg
    mic kit.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 90
almost finished with the first u87 after many delays, but having an issue that I haven't seen on the thread yet (unless I missed something)

Biasing the FET, If I probe with my scope at the drain, It won't clip off either side, but instead will slowly start turning into a sawtooth the higher the level. Sawtooth MAY actually be happening at the output of my interface as the signal level was clipping out of that at that point.

If I probe at the secondary of the T-13, it looks as though the signal is being clipped on one side, but the trimmer doesn't offset that, it seems to just be controlling gain?
Have I damaged the FET somehow?

I'll do some more investigating after work tonight, but thought one of you may know what's going on.

I should have just brought it in to work with me  ;D

Hey guys,

This Mic is in stock and is only 20 bucks more than the "kit". Doesnt have the polar switch but comes with a cheap shock mount and case.

http://www.aurycle.com/aurycle-a460-large-diaphragm-studio-condenser-microphone.html

tskguy said:
Hey guys,

This Mic is in stock and is only 20 bucks more than the "kit". Doesnt have the polar switch but comes with a cheap shock mount and case.

http://www.aurycle.com/aurycle-a460-large-diaphragm-studio-condenser-microphone.html

yep, should have been more specific. It's the 570 that's out of stock, the one with the pattern switch.

kpearsall said:
almost finished with the first u87 after many delays, but having an issue that I haven't seen on the thread yet (unless I missed something)

Biasing the FET, If I probe with my scope at the drain, It won't clip off either side, but instead will slowly start turning into a sawtooth the higher the level. Sawtooth MAY actually be happening at the output of my interface as the signal level was clipping out of that at that point.

If I probe at the secondary of the T-13, it looks as though the signal is being clipped on one side, but the trimmer doesn't offset that, it seems to just be controlling gain?
Have I damaged the FET somehow?

I'll do some more investigating after work tonight, but thought one of you may know what's going on.

I should have just brought it in to work with me  ;D

The transformer primaries and capsule need to be disconnected before the signal will clip properly.

-James-

kml23956 said:
What is the wiring of the T13 transformer to the U1621 board.

Is it: 

Yellow1 = RT
Yellow 2 = SW
Black 1 = BL
Black 2 = WS

?

I think your black 1 & 2 are switched. double check with the original schematic the T13 spec sheet and the build sheet. But I'm pretty sure.

BL= black 2
WS= black 1

-Casey

I know the thread is long but if you go back and read it, I posted a diagram for how to wire the T13

Dave

Where is everyone safe keeping this mic after your are done building it?  Is there a wooden mic box somewhere cheap to buy or are you keeping it in a case of some sort?  Kind of just have mine in the original cardboard box the  aurcyle came in.

What  Mics Actually Likes ( Capsule )  Love is Sillica Gel and The mic Wrapped in a little plastic Bag and a wooden Box , No Humidity and Reasonnable Temperature ,  8),  you have also to take into account Electrostatic Material and Envirronemment So the capsule can attract fine Particle to it  :eek:
D.
Hope this helps,

The classic Crown Royale bag makes a good particulate shield. Plastic can lead to a moisture build up inside of it.

FWIW, this is why I advocate buying a mic based on more criteria than price alone. Mine (CM87S) came with a case, shockmount, cable, and 48V phantom power supply for only $100 on sale. The case makes all the difference when it comes to transporting this beauty and, I believe, to my client's psyche (always a good thing). Also, I'm using a variant on the Crown Royale thing (I got my cover from some vodka bottle). Keeps away all the little foam gremlins...

-James-

Back