Neumann Vintage U87 Clone : Build Thread.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1150

I use these as well as some larger models for all my microphones. They are super nice!

Eric

Has anyone used ChuckD's U67/87 bodies for this build?  How well did the PCB's mount inside/ did you have to do some trickery to mount them?  I ask because I like the look of the larger body compared to the standard choices.

Thanks,

-Casey

signalflow said:
Has anyone used ChuckD's U67/87 bodies for this build?  How well did the PCB's mount inside/ did you have to do some trickery to mount them?  I ask because I like the look of the larger body compared to the standard choices.

Thanks,

-Casey

The current PCB set for this build wasn't designed for Chuck's bodies. Dany had posted another revision that would work in the body but they haven't been manufactured yet. I'm sure you could get it to work tho.

Dave

wave said:
signalflow said:

Thanks,

-Casey

The current PCB set for this build wasn't designed for Chuck's bodies. Dany had posted another revision that would work in the body but they haven't been manufactured yet. I'm sure you could get it to work tho.

Dave

I've seen the revision 87PCB but can't justify replacing the ones I have already. I was just wondering if anyone has been successful in using this body.  I'm already planning on the U67 so if I can't use the body with the 87 I'll at least have it for the 67 when the time comes.

Still, if there are any success stories I'd like to know.

-Casey

Hi, I just built four of these with AMI T13's and Peluso pk87i's. Thanks Dany, These are great tools to have in the kit. I'll be into ordering some more u1621 PCB's from you so I can make a test-jig to easily measure the fet's in circuit. I also plan to use the pcb's as a convenient way to set up a handful of other doner mic's I've got as single diaphragm circuit upgrades for the stock capsules.

Anyway, I've got an issue with my pattern switching on all four mic's. I have not troubleshot too much yet and was hoping someone ran across this already. In Fig-8, the back-side sounds pretty muffled... Omni, it's extremely filtered sounding... Cardioid sounds good.

My rear-backplate connection on the pk87i's is via the saddle screw and does have continuity with that side of the backplate. One thing I noticed is that the capsules came stock with the front-backplate connection via a screw on the teflon housing... That wire/screw does-not have continuity with the front-backplate-side of the backplate... The screws on the rear capsule teflon housing do have continuity with the rear-backplate but one or two of them do not.

Anyone else use the pk87i's? How did you connect up your backplates? Was it shipped pre-connected for the front-backplate and did you leave that one or change to the saddle-area-connections?

I did see the drawing earlier in the thread for the rk87.

Thanks,
jonathan

signalflow said:
wave said:
signalflow said:

Thanks,

-Casey

Dave

I've seen the revision 87PCB but can't justify replacing the ones I have already. I was just wondering if anyone has been successful in using this body.  I'm already planning on the U67 so if I can't use the body with the 87 I'll at least have it for the 67 when the time comes.

Still, if there are any success stories I'd like to know.

-Casey

I am using them. The pattern selector works but the defaults are wrong and you will need to bend the body brackets a little or make your own bracket extender to fit the pcbs in there. So far it is working for me. The mic bodies are well built and easy to work with.

kevinkace said:
wave said:
kevinkace said:
Started the build last night!
Can someone brief me on the original vs option in the BOM?
Tried search to no avail.

What do you mean?

Dave

The part difference IIRC is either pulse film or polystyrene caps. You can get the pulse films from Mouser but you'll have to get most of the styrenes from justradios. The styrenes have a more vintage kind of vibe but are sensitive to too much heat. I've already replaced 3 of them in my first build and I think another has gone bad. the films are more reliable but have a kind of sterile sound (this is just my opinion and it's very subjective). We have discussed this at length and people have built their mics with the films and mica caps with the CM2480 and have great sounding mics (tskguy is one of them)

Dave

C10, C8, C7, C1, C4, C6 all have 2 parts listed, original and option (in the XLS linked post 1).

0dbfs said:
Hi, I just built four of these with AMI T13's and Peluso pk87i's. Thanks Dany, These are great tools to have in the kit. I'll be into ordering some more u1621 PCB's from you so I can make a test-jig to easily measure the fet's in circuit. I also plan to use the pcb's as a convenient way to set up a handful of other doner mic's I've got as single diaphragm circuit upgrades for the stock capsules.

Anyway, I've got an issue with my pattern switching on all four mic's. I have not troubleshot too much yet and was hoping someone ran across this already. In Fig-8, the back-side sounds pretty muffled... Omni, it's extremely filtered sounding... Cardioid sounds good.

My rear-backplate connection on the pk87i's is via the saddle screw and does have continuity with that side of the backplate. One thing I noticed is that the capsules came stock with the front-backplate connection via a screw on the teflon housing... That wire/screw does-not have continuity with the front-backplate-side of the backplate... The screws on the rear capsule teflon housing do have continuity with the rear-backplate but one or two of them do not.

Anyone else use the pk87i's? How did you connect up your backplates? Was it shipped pre-connected for the front-backplate and did you leave that one or change to the saddle-area-connections?

I did see the drawing earlier in the thread for the rk87.

Thanks,
jonathan

The Peluso Capsule have a little screw with attachement point only on one side of it
this is like on the original K87 capsule the connection for the backplate that is on the opposite side of the capsule ,  it is also an indicator of the front of the capsule,
if you take your DMM you will see that it is actually making contact with the opposite backplate and then the other back plate will attache Via saddle crew and the other one are the diaphragme connection ,

Let me know if this helps ,  you might have revered your conection at this point ,
also the 2 backplate are electrically isolated ,
Let me know if this helps,
dan,

Yes,

"Opposite" is the keyword for the Peluso capsule!
Well put brother Dan ;)
Here's a post from me,20 pages back (sorry for that....),look especially at the first pic,it shows a red and blue wire which I attached through the saddle.In case of doubt double check screw continuity to the corresponding backplate!

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=48030.msg618236#msg618236

Hope to have helped,

Udo.

Matador said:
I made a few changes to the BOM:  I subbed in my favorite Nichicon UVZ electrolytic caps where appropriate (they are rater to 105C), and replaced all of the resistors with the Vishay RN55D series of epoxy coated precision 1% resistors.  I went with the Styrene caps and mica's along with Dany's recommended Wima's.

Hi Matador,

Would you happen to have a mouser parts list that details the substitutions you made? I am looking at building a matched pair and would love to be able to compare your choices with the original BOM.

Regards,
Richard

sylvainmoreau said:
hi poctop do you have any idea if you will have more pcb soon ?

In a about 2 weeks from now,
Check the thread i will update it when it comes back in stock ,
thanks,  :)
dan,

Just thought I'd share that I DID fire up my 87 and it sounds great! Much higher hiss though at low volume sources that I need to figure out. Not sure if it's capsule leakage or what.

Minor problem though. Overall this is very nice!

Back