Neumann W492 project - PSU help needed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm using a Triad VPT18-1390 with secondaries in series ... I can't get more then 12V. Do you have any idea about what I've done wrong?
From the datasheet for that toroid, it looks like it has two 9VAC secondaries. You'll need one with two 15VAC secondaries to get the +/-15VDC rails you're looking for - you won't get the voltages you need from that Triad.

From the datasheet for that toroid, it looks like it has two 9VAC secondaries. You'll need one with two 15VAC secondaries to get the +/-15VDC rails you're looking for - you won't get the voltages you need from that Triad.
Thanks TwentyTrees, I bought that one beacause it was suggested in the Creative clowns' Build Doc. May be I misunderstood this document and it's not referring to the w492 build and it's just a wiring example.
I have an unused trafo with 2 x 25V secondaries, do you think I could be able to drop voltage to 15v with that Vari PSU?

Immagine.png

Last edited:
I'm afraid I don't know what the Creative Clowns build doc is, though I'm assuming they've reissued Audiox's PCB design for the W492 or designed their own version.

I don't recommend using your 2 x 25V transformer, as you'd be wasting a LOT of power as heat in rectifying and regulating down to +/-15VDC. I wouldn't do it, particularly when you can get the correct transformer for under £20 (at least you could a couple of years ago, when I last bought one).

I'm afraid I don't know what the Creative Clowns build doc is, though I'm assuming they've reissued Audiox's PCB design for the W492 or designed their own version.

I don't recommend using your 2 x 25V transformer, as you'd be wasting a LOT of power as heat in rectifying and regulating down to +/-15VDC. I wouldn't do it, particularly when you can get the correct transformer for under £20 (at least you could a couple of years ago, when I last bought one).
Ok thanks a lot!

Latest posts

Back