Neve panels. Matt, gloss, satin?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keeeth

I'm just about to order some paint for a Neve-y project I'm working on and I've got the right colour but I can't work out what finish it should have.

I have a few different modules here but I can't work out if it's matt, gloss or satin.  Does anyone know?

The main inspiration for the look of the project is the Neve 2254 compressor so go off that.

Cheers

well... the actual unit on Neve's site is anodized aluminum. If you're going to try to mimic that, I would in my opinion say it would be a satin. Too bad FPE and the like, only offer their anodized colors in what I personally wouldn't use on a Neve-esque front panel as they look cheesy.

When I was there, all front panels were painted and then silk screened. This was in the 70s and I don't think silk finish had been invented then and I am pretty certain they were not a gloss finish. So I guess they must have been matt.

Cheers

Ian

Cheers guys

I bought a matt spray paint and tried it on a panel I had. it matched the real Neve stuff I have here so I reckon I'll use that

keeeth said:
Cheers guys

I bought a matt spray paint and tried it on a panel I had. it matched the real Neve stuff I have here so I reckon I'll use that

I vaguely recall that the Neve panel colour was called "RAF Blue Grey". I am pretty sure there is a RAL number for it somewhere. It has a British Standard number of BS381C-633. The nearest RAL colour I can find is RAL7031 which is called blue grey

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back