Neve style 500 series mic pre 1290 1073

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would love 4 boards. You may want to look at the Group 51x rack with its extra 24v pins.

James 

I spoke to soon this built is for the 51x rack. Great project you should be able to sell a stack of these boards.

JamesW

Any chance of seeing a 500 series mic pre like this with perhaps one switchable eq knob? perhaps something like 8k, 10k, 12k, 15? or is there anything out there with a pre and some eq?

canidoit said:
onlymeee, how is this project looking? I just ordered my Laz 1084 eq and trying to save money on shipping for parts so would like to order for this project as well.

Any idea when this project will be available to buy?

Are all the bugs sorted out on this?

Thanks

Hey, I made some "tweaks" to the PCB. Nothing major, mostly just a small rearrange
of a few parts.  I'll order some PCBs tomorrow.  Then shouldn't be more
than a few weeks until they come, and I'll also build another with the new PCB,
but don't imagine they'll be any problems or any bugs to tweak from then.
(takes a few hours to build so won't be too much of a delay from when I receive PCBs).

Lordallen said:
Any chance of seeing a 500 series mic pre like this with perhaps one switchable eq knob? perhaps something like 8k, 10k, 12k, 15? or is there anything out there with a pre and some eq?

You mean like a dual concentric?  with gain and freq control?
Space would be the main issue.  Especially if you're after an eq using Neve circuitry and original parts.

Onlymeeee, do you have a PM where I can write to you about some questions and ideas regarding this project?

Thanks,

Carlos Lima

PS: I feel what I wave to say and ask is still too weak to expose here in the forum.  :-[ :-\

canidoit said:
That's great that you are putting the unit to its paces before selling it out to people. The last thing you want is an angry mob ; )
Do you have any comments on the sound when you build the units using different components like metal resistors, comp resistors, different caps etc? or have you just built the units with one style of components so far.

It's a difficult one, because I haven't built 2 with different parts and compared
directly yet. But it's definately something I'm keen to try. 

Carlos Lima said:
Onlymeeee, do you have a PM where I can write to you about some questions and ideas regarding this project?

Thanks,

Carlos Lima

PS: I feel what I wave to say and ask is still too weak to expose here in the forum.  :-[ :-\

Sure. You can use the pm on here if you want.

Will you be selling just pcbs or full kits (even pcb with transformer, i'm sure transformers get cheaper when you have 50 people going GIMME!!!! :p)

TheGuitarist said:
Will you be selling just pcbs or full kits (even pcb with transformer, i'm sure transformers get cheaper when you have 50 people going GIMME!!!! :p)

For the moment it will be just pcbs and metal work I think but in the future,
I'll look into getting a kit together.

okgb said:
Well maybe a passive lo shelf would be doable ?
an rc network , the avalons claim to have this

Tis a difficult one, because at the moment, I've kind of left a space (if you can call it that! More like a "less packed in bit")
around where the bottom of the panel is that could fit a small pot just about. (Not on the actual PCB real estate - no space left there, but above there's a tiny bit of room.
The plan is to leave people to decide what they want.  Either leave it minimal like I did,
or add an ouput trim, or if you like, a simple eq or filter using a bit of veroboard that you can fix somewhere. 
I mean there really isn't alot of space but hey, when there's a will..!

peter purpose said:
David.... bollox to em... make it your way.

Hah true true.
Well I don't think I'll change anything on the PCB my end. But there's room for an extra pot down the bottom of the panel, and there's pads available on the PCB to wire a trim.  Other than that, it's up to the skill of the modder! Obviously they'd have to drill an extra hole too and any labeling you want,
but anything's possible. Depends what you're after... trim, passive filter, non functioning 'PHAT' knob, mobile phone charger...

I'm in for 2.
I'm finishing up building a set of 1073 preamp clones (not 500 series) and have a few parts left over that will be useful in this build.

2 please  ;D

These look very nice indeed. I dont have a 500 format rack, and I sont think I should start or else there is a whole new avenue open for me to throw money at.

Congrats though. Looks amazing!
Jake

Latest posts

Back