Neve style 500 series mic pre 1290 1073

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
onlymeeee said:
Shouldn't be too long.
Working on it as we speak.
I've had it in the studio for the last month giving it a good thorough testing.
I've changed/changing a few things which is why the delay  (After using it for a good while and asking some others for feedback I've shufflled settings down one to fit an extra +10dB line setting. For when you need some gain at line level, also works for a hot mic when 20dB is too high. eg. NS10 cone on a kick)  (Also tweaked a few things round on PCB to make assembly easier. It was a bit fiddly for my liking.)

So to sum up...  Working on improving it for you all and shouldn't be too long!
What do you mean? What's the gain stage on these? Can these run ribbon mics?

canidoit said:
onlymeeee said:
Shouldn't be too long.
Working on it as we speak.
I've had it in the studio for the last month giving it a good thorough testing.
I've changed/changing a few things which is why the delay  (After using it for a good while and asking some others for feedback I've shufflled settings down one to fit an extra +10dB line setting. For when you need some gain at line level, also works for a hot mic when 20dB is too high. eg. NS10 cone on a kick)  (Also tweaked a few things round on PCB to make assembly easier. It was a bit fiddly for my liking.)

So to sum up...  Working on improving it for you all and shouldn't be too long!
What do you mean? What's the gain stage on these? Can these run ribbon mics?

I mean... the gain staging is still the same as a 1073 but with these 12 settings:  0dB,10dB,20dB,25dB,30dB,35dB,40dB,45dB,50dB,55dB,60dB,65dB

As far as running ribbon mics, I've had no problems. (vintage Coles 4038, SF12, M160, R121 etc.)

Also remember that if you use the Lo-Z impedance then, you have around 6dB gain on top.

Of course, if this top setting is too low (which personally I don't feel it is, as plenty of mic pres have 65dB or even 60dB gain.) then you can DIY a jumper and push the top setting up 5dB.

In the month we've been using it, we've found that we never needed the 70dB setting and sometimes craved a setting in between 0dB and 20dB for hot mics.

Hope this clarifies things.

Thanks onlymeee. Any idea when these will be out?

Its great you are refining the build and making sure its top notch before putting it out there!

onlymeeee said:
Depends what you're after... trim, passive filter, non functioning 'PHAT' knob, mobile phone charger...

i'm so excited for these...  6-8 would be great, but only if there's a cellular DI.  and functioning phat knob.

Hi onlymee,
will you be proposing kits soon,
or do we have to wait a few monthes,
and start to find other things to build
in order to satisfy our solder addiction !
;D

pacemaker said:
Hi onlymee,
will you be proposing kits soon,
or do we have to wait a few monthes,
and start to find other things to build
in order to satisfy our solder addiction !
;D

I'm on it!  You can never have enough things to solder!  Carpet seems to be a popular one with myself
Hoping to get it finalised soon, as I have some free time these next couple of weeks.

you know what would be really, really, REALLY cool, would be if you could feed the output of the preamp right after the 283NV to an adjacent PP-EQN - via stereolink!
gdiyunited.gif

that way for tracking you wouldn't have to go through two output amps and transformers.
no idea how you would fit another switch onto the PP EQN frontpanel though.....

briomusic said:
you know what would be really, really, REALLY cool, would be if you could feed the output of the preamp right after the 283NV to an adjacent PP-EQN - via stereolink!
that way for tracking you wouldn't have to go through two output amps and transformers.
no idea how you would fit another switch onto the PP EQN frontpanel though.....

That would be cool. I don't think there's tin on pin 6 of the EQN, otherwise you could switch it via the link pin (pin 6 to EQ in and just leave the input jack open)

Hello Onlymee

Is this project going to happen? Just really wanted a pair for my 51x rack and I am pondering doing my own layout, but don't want to unless you are canceling this project. 
Do you have a board ready yet or are there still bugs to be sorted?
Looks nice! Hopefully you get it working soon.

Chuck

Looking like I'll be sending off for a final run of pcbs next week.

ChuckD said:
Hello Onlymee

Is this project going to happen? Just really wanted a pair for my 51x rack and I am pondering doing my own layout, but don't want to unless you are canceling this project. 
Do you have a board ready yet or are there still bugs to be sorted?
Looks nice! Hopefully you get it working soon.

Chuck

Back