New-ish electret capsule

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tested both of these yesterday, and as KK mentioned, and his graphs, they're right on target, KK2 (no mesh) is flatter and a little thinner at the bottom, while KK1 has kind of smiley curve (enhanced bass, airy on top). This is what I interpret as CK12 sound. I think I personally liked KK2 best, even though it slimer at the bottom.

I don't know if current @kingkorg 'version 1's (mesh/metal rear plate) are the same as what I bought a couple of years ago, but mine are all collecting dust, as they are far too bright to use on anything.

Not even distant mic'ing, as the HF rise starts at much to low a frequency.

Try it on a u87ish circuit tuning the deemphasis cap! I was very happy with the result (it pop up against my other projects) and I lent it to a friend that prefer it to the NT1000 for his vocals

Last edited:
Try it on a u87ish circuit tuning the deemphasis cap! I was very happy with the result (it pop up against my other projects) and I lent it to a friend that prefer it to the NT1000 for his vocals
Yeah, I imagine that's the only thing that would work if the cap was large enough to roll off low enough.

@k brown @LevinGuitar

I'm just done with a mic using that capsule with a filter for that peak. It addresses just the peak, leaves alone everything above and under.

Basically Schoeps, 2x300ohm in series after drain and source, bypassed by 22mH inductor, 16nF cap, and 1.3k resistor. 1.3k resistor can be tuned to attenuate the peak to your liking. Should work with any Schoeps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240824_010610_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240824_010610_Gallery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
@k brown @LevinGuitar

I'm just done with a mic using that capsule with a filter for that peak. It addresses just the peak, leaves alone everything above and under.

Basically Schoeps, 2x300ohm in series after drain and source, bypassed by 22mH inductor, 16nF cap, and 1.3k resistor. 1.3k resistor can be tuned to attenuate the peak to your liking. Should work with any Schoeps.

On the Rode circuits your mod works quite well :)

Will try on a Schoeps then

Has there been a version of that capsule with a screen (the one with the plastic/fibre(?) rear plate)?

I think so. I have used both with and without screen and cannot discern a difference in construction or result. Unfortunately, I paid more for mine on eBay.com. James

Latest posts

Back