New u87 Body

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@joulupukki
You also need to buy more 2N3819 because jFETs have large parameter dispersion and you will need to select an appropriate one for the circuit
And the 2.2kohm resistors must be matched with high precision (personally I pair them below 0.5%), so more must be bought.
✨
But let's not deviate from the topic, you can find out all the details on the original topic of Michael Fuchs.
Let's move the U87 rev Ai discussions there.

Where’s a good place in the US to get the Styro caps? It looks like from the BOM that I’d need:

1x 160pF 500V 5%
1x 270pF 300V 5%
2x 470pF 100V 2.5%
Where’s a good place in the US to get the Styro caps? It looks like from the BOM that I’d need:

1x 160pF 500V 5%
1x 270pF 300V 5%
2x 470pF 100V 2.5%
I have been buying them from:https://www.justradios.com/polystyrene.html Shipping is pretty fast and they seem to be good qualtiy.

I recently bought 5 of them HL-77 bodies. I like the plain look of the HL-77 body, and of course, the price, and made holes myself for regular switches with a dremmel.. 2 for a pair of mihi's 87's, and 2 for a pair of Rogs's OPIC multipattern, with Ari's capsules (F47 in the case of the OPIC pair). I have them all done just waiting on ARI's capsules, hopefully soon.
With the fifth body I built an OPA Alice with KK's V1 electret capsule. Very nice mic btw! Yes the bodies, they ring like mofos though, even with 3d printed mounts I made on my own, with the same concept of the rubber rings. I managed to reduce the ringing quite a bit by putting a very thin layer of this stuff, as suggested somewhere else in the forums, squeezed in the inside of the body tube:
https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Skywalk...28-8570-f402ea83e4a2&pd_rd_i=B00A7AXBSQ&psc=1
It is somewhat tricky, because its sticky, so I applied a coat of paint afterwards on the inside over it, to get rid of its stickyness after installing it. The ringing reduced quite significantly to where now is almost more of a solid thump.

Last edited:
Ought to mention, the metal rails are touching this stuff, particularly on the bottom, where the tube slims a bit. I think this might be contributing to deaden the ringing as well, so it might not be just the basket.

Latest posts

Back