New u87 Body

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I contacted the seller on Ali, and got some more info on this new body.
For reference, the body initially mentioned at the beginning of this thread, that is close in size to an actual u87, is called the "HL-77"
This new body, the one that looks more like an 87 body with the cosmetic only switches, is the "HL-95"

These are pics they sent me of the HL-77 and HL-95 side by side, with and without shell, and another close up of the inside of the 95.
The vertical distance between the mounting holes on the rails of the HL-95 is 80mm, which I believe would perfectly accommodate one of Poctop's D87 boards. I've asked for the measurement of the width from hole to hole, whether it's 34mm or 38mm, so I'll report back if I get an answer.

View attachment 121062View attachment 121060View attachment 121059
Awesome! Wow cool. Yes please report back! Would love to know if it fits D87.

Very satisfied with it. Seems to be of the right dimensions, i don't have an 87 currently to confirm.
Got the new body for the U87.
I'm very pleased.
It is probably the closest to the original.
For those who don't know, the TLM103's headbasket is similar to the U87's.
Thanks Kingkorg for the recommendation.

Attachments

• 1706615952949_1706616074739.jpg
    1706615952949_1706616074739.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240130_140717.jpg
    IMG_20240130_140717.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240130_140825.jpg
    IMG_20240130_140825.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
I spotted a difference in the headbasket ,
On the real Neumann the second mesh is set at 45 degrees to the outer one ,
on the repro its not ,
I noticed, but if in the end the repro sounds better? 😂
(more transparent?
Or is the difference imperceptible in the real world?)

Attachments

• IMG_20240130_140717_1706619316475.jpg
    IMG_20240130_140717_1706619316475.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 1
I cant say what the difference would be , or if its audible
it could be favourable or not depending on the source ,I guess .
I think its safe to say the way things are done at Neumann it isnt just by chance and the mesh is at 45 degrees for a reason .

I cant say what the difference would be , or if its audible
it could be favourable or not depending on the source ,I guess .
I think its safe to say the way things are done at Neumann it isnt just by chance and the mesh is at 45 degrees for a reason .
Neumann also uses a third, thicker mesh for stiffening, but which further closes the head basket.
With the Neumann, the result is a slightly finer mesh, meaning better protection against plosives, and it reduces a bit of the mid-highs and highs. In addition, the interior micro-acoustics is a little different. More reflections and resonances. Part of the sonic character comes from these.
In the clone, the sound may be more transparent

Attachments

• u87_capsule (2).jpg
    u87_capsule (2).jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 0
HL-95 Body just arrived. Here it is next to a TLM-67
The HL-95 so far does not exhibit the same resonant ringing sound that the HL-77 has. The body shell is fairly heavy brass, so it has some heft. The black "rings" around the bottom cap and at the faux switch level are just thin plain black tape that has been applied a bit sloppily.
And as seen in the previously posted internal photos, the rails are a bit closer together than the HL-77 so dropping in a PCB like the Fuchs or the Bouchard 87 will require some finessing, so while I think it's a pretty cool body for $60 delivered from Aliexpress, it's not a "plug and play" type of solution like other bodies.

IMG_9239.jpg

HL-95 Body just arrived. Here it is next to a TLM-67
The HL-95 so far does not exhibit the same resonant ringing sound that the HL-77 has. The body shell is fairly heavy brass, so it has some heft. The black "rings" around the bottom cap and at the faux switch level are just thin plain black tape that has been applied a bit sloppily.
And as seen in the previously posted internal photos, the rails are a bit closer together than the HL-77 so dropping in a PCB like the Fuchs or the Bouchard 87 will require some finessing, so while I think it's a pretty cool body for $60 delivered from Aliexpress, it's not a "plug and play" type of solution like other bodies.

View attachment 121793
Hi,
I still haven't received it. The lack of resonance is excellent news. Inside we can adapt anything, space is enough. Are the headbasket dimensions smaller at hl-95 than at hl-77? (or compared to the TLM67?) Is the build quality good?On the hl-95 the second mesh is set at 90 or 45 degrees to the outer one ?

Attachments

• 1707127140560_1707127204626_1707128276086_1707128350557.jpg
    1707127140560_1707127204626_1707128276086_1707128350557.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 1707127310572_1707127385405_1707128095866.jpg
    1707127310572_1707127385405_1707128095866.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hi,
I still haven't received it. The lack of resonance is excellent news. Inside we can adapt anything, space is enough. Are the headbasket dimensions smaller at hl-95 than at hl-77? (or compared to the TLM67?) Is the build quality good?On the hl-95 the second mesh is set at 90 or 45 degrees to the outer one ?
So, the 95's headbasket size is exactly the same as the 77 you've measured above.
In comparison, the TLM-67 headbasket is 1.5mm taller and 2.5mm wider.
The HL-95 just appears to be the same height as the TLM-67 in phots because they made up the difference in body tube length.

Also, the 95, like the 77, has the same mesh pattern. The 2nd mesh is in parallel with the first layer and the 3rd layer is offset 45 degrees, as opposed to the TLM-67 where the 2nd and 3rd layers of mesh are both offset at 45 degrees from the outermost layer.

The 95 seems to be well made. Looking forward to transplanting a Fuchs 87 circuit into it once I get my Arienne Audio k87. I already have a couple of mics I really love in HL-77 bodies (and not noticing any issues with the 77 body resonance in my VO recordings), so given the identical nature of their respective headbasket geometries, I'm feeling confident the 95 will work well for my purposes.

So, the 95's headbasket size is exactly the same as the 77 you've measured above.
In comparison, the TLM-67 headbasket is 1.5mm taller and 2.5mm wider.
The HL-95 just appears to be the same height as the TLM-67 in phots because they made up the difference in body tube length.

Also, the 95, like the 77, has the same mesh pattern. The 2nd mesh is in parallel with the first layer and the 3rd layer is offset 45 degrees, as opposed to the TLM-67 where the 2nd and 3rd layers of mesh are both offset at 45 degrees from the outermost layer.

The 95 seems to be well made. Looking forward to transplanting a Fuchs 87 circuit into it once I get my Arienne Audio k87. I already have a couple of mics I really love in HL-77 bodies (and not noticing any issues with the 77 body resonance in my VO recordings), so given the identical nature of their respective headbasket geometries, I'm feeling confident the 95 will work well for my purposes.
Hi Wordsushi!
There is a lot of valuable information for all of us.
I regularly follow your posts on YouT, I am delighted with the sound of the U87i 1979 as well as the U87ai Fuchs, in different bodies. What transformers did you use? Is the 2N3819 CEN from Mouser or NOS?
The use in VO is different from that in music mixes. Your voice sounds great, professional, even on a $1 microphone. Maybe in the future you invite a singer friend for some music tests.
Many thanks!

Hi Wordsushi!
There is a lot of valuable information for all of us.
I regularly follow your posts on YouT, I am delighted with the sound of the U87i 1979 as well as the U87ai Fuchs, in different bodies. What transformers did you use? Is the 2N3819 CEN from Mouser or NOS?
The use in VO is different from that in music mixes. Your voice sounds great, professional, even on a $1 microphone. Maybe in the future you invite a singer friend for some music tests.
Many thanks!
Thank you so much!
So, my "1979" with a vintage Neumann K87 has a 3u audio transformer and Dany's D87 circuit built with a 2n3819 I bought from Mouser. I've had this capsule and circuit in 3 different bodies, including an an MXL body and then one of the smaller 87 style bodies from Aliexpress that are about the same size as a u89. I never really loved it until I transplanted it all into the HL-77 with the larger, more accurate 87 style headbasket. Maybe I'm crazy, but now I think it's the best sounding mic I've ever heard on my voice, to the point where, for the first time in a decade, I no longer feel this need to keep searching for my perfect mic.

Now, the Fuchs 87 that I currently have in another HL-77 has a 1st gen Arienne k87 and a UTM 5087 transformer and it sounds close enough to the 1979 that I have it as my main back up. The UTM 5087 is a tiny bit thicker sounding than the 3u, and the transients aren't as crisp, but tone-wise, I think it's a great sibling mic to the 1979. The 2n3819 in that mic is one I bought from Small Dog Electronics many years ago.

What I'm planning on putting into the HL-95 is another Fuchs 87, also with a Small Dog sourced 2n3819, but with a 3u audio transformer, and the Arienne k87 v2. Because the 95 feels like a slight upgrade from the 77, I have confidence that it'll work out just as well, if not better.

What I'm planning on putting into the HL-95 is another Fuchs 87, also with a Small Dog sourced 2n3819, but with a 3u audio transformer, and the Arienne k87 v2. Because the 95 feels like a slight upgrade from the 77, I have confidence that it'll work out just as well, if not better.
That sounds like a winning combo! Looking forward to hearing how it turns out as I may follow your lead. Is the Fuchs 87 PCB you’re using the revision A one?

Thank you so much!
So, my "1979" with a vintage Neumann K87 has a 3u audio transformer and Dany's D87 circuit built with a 2n3819 I bought from Mouser. I've had this capsule and circuit in 3 different bodies, including an an MXL body and then one of the smaller 87 style bodies from Aliexpress that are about the same size as a u89. I never really loved it until I transplanted it all into the HL-77 with the larger, more accurate 87 style headbasket. Maybe I'm crazy, but now I think it's the best sounding mic I've ever heard on my voice, to the point where, for the first time in a decade, I no longer feel this need to keep searching for my perfect mic.

Now, the Fuchs 87 that I currently have in another HL-77 has a 1st gen Arienne k87 and a UTM 5087 transformer and it sounds close enough to the 1979 that I have it as my main back up. The UTM 5087 is a tiny bit thicker sounding than the 3u, and the transients aren't as crisp, but tone-wise, I think it's a great sibling mic to the 1979. The 2n3819 in that mic is one I bought from Small Dog Electronics many years ago.

Hi Wordsushi!
I am grateful for all the detailed information.
All variants sound great on your voice, as I said before.
About capsules and bodies I will make observations later, I am still analyzing.
My main observation is about the difference I noticed between the responses of the transformers. I had the same feeling when I switched from a transformer with a smaller core to the UTM0587.
3U is richer in mid-highs and highs, harmonics, seems more incisive, faster (yes, transients), in the face, ideal for VO. UTM sounds more forgiving, more suitable for singing perhaps.
(Cinemag 13113 sounds very accurate, clean and Hi-Fi, Neutrik NTE10-3 (very small) quickly enters saturation, somehow it reminds me of the 50's.)
You probably used post-processing, but the sound of 3U gzt-87 always rings in my head, obsessively. It's perfect for VoiceOver😃
Thanks!

Discovered something while installing the Fuchs boards in the HL-95. Turns out using these screws/nuts I had around, I could just tighten them enough that the board stays in place, clamped to the rails, despite not having a PCB mount hole in the middle there like the HL-77 body. The rail width was perfect in this regard, so it ended up being really easy.

I think the screws were M2's and just long enough to accommodate.

I also installed the 3u k87 I had with these boards in a smaller mic and it made a noticeable difference in the sound. The HL-95 made it sound bigger, bolder, more dimensional. I've really come to find that these smaller headbasket mics I had been using just sound kinda lifeless in comparison.

Also, I can gladly report there is NO RESONANCE PING when you tap the side. It's just solid.

Overall, with the 3u audio capsule and transformer, I feel it sounds a bit cleaner and more modern than my 1979 and definitely a little more punchier than the other Fuchs I have with the Arienne K87 v1 capsule and the UTM 5087 transformer, so I'm really pleased with all the slight variations between these 3 mics.

And I will definitely be buying more HL-95 bodies for any other future 87 style mic builds.
IMG_9244.jpgIMG_9245.jpg

Last edited:
Discovered something while installing the Fuchs boards in the HL-95. Turns out using these screws/nuts I had around, I could just tighten them enough that the board stays in place, clamped to the rails, despite not having a PCB mount hole in the middle there like the HL-77 body. The rail width was perfect in this regard, so it ended up being really easy.

I think the screws were M2's and just long enough to accommodate.

I also installed the 3u k87 I had with these boards in a smaller mic and it made a noticeable difference in the sound. The HL-95 made it sound bigger, bolder, more dimensional. I've really come to find that these smaller headbasket mics I had been using just sound kinda lifeless in comparison.

Also, I can gladly report there is NO RESONANCE PING when you tape the side. It's just solid.

Overall, with the 3u audio capsule and transformer, I feel it sounds a bit cleaner and more modern than my 1979 and definitely a little more punchier than the other Fuchs I have with the Arienne K87 v1 capsule and the UTM 5087 transformer, so I'm really pleased with all the slight variations between these 3 mics.

And I will definitely be buying more HL-95 bodies for any other future 87 style mic builds.
View attachment 121883View attachment 121884
Looks great! Good to hear that the ringing is easily sorted.

With the cosmetic switches, does it seem like it would be possible to mod them to really switch a switch…?

Interested in trying this body for my next 87 build, particularly with the larger headstock

Looks great! Good to hear that the ringing is easily sorted.

With the cosmetic switches, does it seem like it would be possible to mod them to really switch a switch…?

Interested in trying this body for my next 87 build, particularly with the larger headstock
Yes, the fake switches on the back and the fake pattern switch and pattern icon up front are all part of a single ring of white plastic with stickers on it that easily slips in and out from under the headbasket when the body tube is removed, so it would be theoretically possible to somehow finesse accessible switches to fit on the underside of the capsule deck.

If you look at either of the pics in the above post, you can spot that white plastic ring around the lip of the rear of the headbasket.

Latest posts

Back