NewYorkDave One Bottle X 8 (with sound sample)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha!
Spot on Dave, no they were not referenced to the same place. Changed it and now it's dead quiet again ;D
Thanks!
Freddy

Cool man... you got it fixed. ;D

What's strange is, before you changed the heater wires you said:
before I found the heater problem, I swapped tubes as suggested and the good and bad channels did follow the tubes.

That seems odd ???

I also noticed you didn't add any DI's... Going into tubes for a Di sounds GREAT! I really like the 1-bottle Di for Bass & Keys, etc...

there may be differences in the current each filament draws/voltage drops across pcb traces--those suspect tubes may not have been getting up to temp as previously wired.

gorgeous build Freddy!

Dave,

I know you said you don't have time to test the MOD's which is cool.  ;)
They're all pretty cut & dry for me except the reduction of (C5) 22uf.

Could you recommend a value?

I don't fully understand why that can be reduced because of the change from 10k to 20k. :-[
or what the benefits are of changing it or what the negative effects are of leaving it @ 22u?

I increased my 10k to 15k for now. I also like it unbalanced but plan on trying an OT later.
It should be complete tomorrow or Sunday... I'll post some pics & info.
It's turning out GREAT!  :D

Kevin, changing the feedback resistor to 22K allows you to reduce the coupling cap value to as low as 10uF... but you don't have to change the cap. You can retain the 22uF coupling cap.

As for the "why" and "how"... Google the phrases "capacitive reactance" and "corner frequency."

Later!

Kevin, I changed R12 to 22k and C5 to 10 uf....sounds fine to me. And yes I did design a DI entry on the pc board, I just have not had the time to drill the front panel and install the connectors. I know it sounds great on the two-bottle version (you may recall that I built a dual two-bottle). Actaully it's because I loved the two-bottle that I trusted Dave's design enough to fork out for this box...8 channels of one bottle does add up in cost ;D (but I have to say that the edcors are ridiculously inexpensive) 8)
Freddy

My post about the socket heater pins to PCB were because I guessed the heaters and oxides were not at temp and maybe it was because of not good connections to the socket.   Did you write down the voltage at the heater pins before fixing the problem?

Take the "bad" tubes and run the heater a bit high 6.5V etc in a channel or a simple circuit or a tube tester if you can for a hour or so and test them again.

Hey Freddy, Great build btw. What do you think the one bottle gets you that the MILA does not so much and vs. vs.?

Freddy, congrats on your build and great job! 
I'm wondering about your power supply, what PT did you end up using and did you simply divide R1 and multiply C2 x8 for the multiple pre's as stated in NYDave's PSU schematic: http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii49/aaronmoore82/NYDpsu_p01.jpg

Thanks!
Aron

Freddy, you mentioned over the black market that you used the wellbuying LED switches on this. I'm planning on using them as well in my MILA rebuild.

What did you use to control the LEDs? I just found out that the LEDs need to be switched separately and I'm not sure how you'd do this. Relays I guess? Any tips or hints or schematics?

Thanks,
mason

Mason,
Here's a screen shot of my pcb design that includes the switching for my NYD 1 bottle.
It's double sided so the red traces are on one side and the green on the other.
I used a 5V supply for the LEDs. R17 is a current limiting resistor. R1,2 &3 are for the pad circuit.
Hope this helps ;)
Cheers,
Freddy
NYD1bottleswitches.jpg

Hi all!
For anyone wondering what a NewYorkDave mic pre sounds like I thought I'd post a sample of a little group I recorded using NewYorkDave mic pres. Every single track went through either a 1-bottle or 2 bottle pre.
A little background on the recording specifics....
Drums, bass and rhythm guitar recorded live off the floor. Violin & guitar solo overdubbed.

Kick drum - MD421 -NYD 1 bottle with cinemag input iron
Snare top - SM57 - NYD 1 bottle with cinemag input iron
Snare bottom- AKG 535 - NYD 1 bottle with lundahl input iron
Overheads - Josephson C42- NYD 1 bottle with lundahl input iron
Drum Room - Crowley & Tripp Naked Eye - NYD 2 bottle -La2a clone
Fender Jazz Bass- HiZ input - NYD 2 bottle - LA2a clone (later reamped using...yep, u guessed it, NYD reamp box ;D- ampeg flip-top - Royer R121 - NYD 1 bottle with cinemag input iron)
Gibson L5 (rhythm) - Royer R121 - NYD 1 bottle with cinemag input iron - LA2a clone
Violin- Royer R121 - NYD 2 bottle - LA2a clone
Gibson L5 (solo) - Royer R121 - NYD 1 bottle with cinemag input iron - LA2a clone & G7 room mic - NYD 1 bottle with lundahl input iron - LA2A clone
Cheers!

EDIT>>>>link removed

What a cool tune.  Sounds really clean and purty!  Bastard!  Now Im gonna have to build some o these...  I always wished I could play gtr like that.  BTW what kind of gtr is that? LOL Ive listened a few times and I fricken love that tune.  So damn happy!! duh Gibson L5 I see it now

W DeMarco said:
What a cool tune.  Sounds really clean and purty!  Bastard!  Now Im gonna have to build some o these...  I always wished I could play gtr like that.  BTW what kind of gtr is that? LOL Ive listened a few times and I fricken love that tune.  So damn happy!!

Yeah, I love this tune too. The guitar is a Gibson L5 that I had just finished restoring....refret, bridge, and I made a new pickguard for it

Thanks Gary,
Yes, very Chester-Lester isn't it!
It was recorded to computer, but the mix transfered to an Ampex ATR 102 1/2" with the Aria discreet electronics in mastering.

Back