NewYorkDave One Bottle X 8 (with sound sample)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice tune! very difficult style of music as well. I've always been impressed with these type of rhythm guitar chord runs, rarely had the patience to learn them meself after a few mandatory (painful) ones back in school.

Very effortless sound in general. I like how the LA-2A glues the mix, and brings out the preamp sound even more up front.

Freddy, lets be honest here, it wouldn't matter how you recorded it, there are some great players here!
Garbage in garbage out! And of course vice versa! Lets not get hung up on the gear when talent will always shine through.

Hi All,
       Planning on building a couple of these P2P. I've noticed there are a couple of variations on this circuit but plan to build off the original schematic on the first page of the original  thread, read on making the R12 / C5 adjustments.

Freddy G ,  you mention the Edcor WSM600/15k for Output Trans,  could you reveal your choices of cinimag and Lundahl on Input ?  and possibly your thoughts on the differences , if any between the two, and what value of C1 did you use with those Input Trans choices ?

any and all help / suggestions greatly appreciated   ;D

Thanks   ..   and great build Freddy , truly DIY inspiration  ;)

audiophreak,
I made an error when I ordered the Edcors, I should have ordered the WSM600/10k. It would have given a bit more gain. This pre does not have a lot of gain.
The difference between the Cinemag and Lundahl is more than subtle. The Cinemag has a fatter, creamier sound and the Lundahl has more sparkle and detail. I find it useful to try one channel (transformer) then another on a source, often times I just get the right combo without having to reach for EQ right away. I suppose if I had to choose one it would be the Cinemag, it wins 75% of the time. No C1 was used with either of thes transformers.
Cheers!
Freddy

Freddy,
        Thank you so much for the quick and most appreciated response !  I didn't think you or anyone would reply so quickly as the last post was almost a year ago.

Still wondering about the actual model of Cinimag and Lundahl's you used, and was C1 just omitted ?  any other mods or omissions from the original schematic from Dave's original post ?  I have several builds under my belt but still VERRY much a Newbie  ;D  The blessing of this forum is the incredibly openness in sharing of information and Ideas which has allowed me to build what I have, and have gained so much knowledge, and having a BLAST ,  but the curse for me is that  I have SO much more to learn and understand, and all do to a prevailing passion for music.

A fellow member suggested an LL1578 for input, I also have an LL1538XL left over from a G7 build ( lower ratio but at the min. suggested ) , and looked on the Cinemag page and found CMMI-10PCA, and CMMI-10C, also Jensen JT-110K-HPC,JT-115K-EPC , and JT-115K-E ,  any opinion on these ? 
  As far as the Output, your right, the Edcores are ridiculously cheap, found this from Jensen JT-6110K-B, or the LL1930 ,  any other suggestions or comments ? 

This will be my first P2P project besides the Royer MXL tube mics and really want to experiment / mix it all up, even possibly try some vintage input / output transformers, like Stancor A-4351 , UTC A-26 , any thoughts ?  I also have a great selection of OHmite " Little Devils " CC resistors picked up at a garage sale, I've built three G9s, five G-SSLs, and a Quad of W492s, all the G9s have Lundahls, and even put the LL5402s on the output of one of the G-SSLs, all sound great but really want to mix it up with this One Bottle.

Thanks again for your time and suggestions,
                                                            Chip

audiophreak said:
Still wondering about the actual model of Cinimag and Lundahl's you used, and was C1 just omitted ?  any other mods or omissions

Chip, I used the Cinemag CMMI-10pca and the Lundahl LL1636. Both have a 1:10 step up. C1 was not necessary with either of these transformers. No other modifications were made to the original circuit.

mylesgm said:
Really cool build, there cant be too many 8 channel tube mic pre's in 2ru...  Will you make the pcb available or allow someone else to fabricate? 
M

Thanks M, I've been asked this before, Dave has not given his permission.

Freddy,
          Thank you so much, I,m very excited to try this and experiment with possible combinations once I get a baseline.

On the C1 issue,  is there a formula or test procedure that indicates what value, evidently if any, is needed ? 

Hi Chip,
I'm not that savvy on how the zobel works (I think that's what it's called). I was told by both transformer manufacturers that it wasn't necessary when I showed them the circuit. But if someone would like to pipe in and explain, I would like to know more about it :)

audiophreak said:
On the C1 issue,  is there a formula or test procedure that indicates what value, evidently if any, is needed ? 

Yes, Jensen wrote a short guide on choosing Zoebel values which has bee quoted here before.

It's essentially a bit of HF loading on the secondary which is there to try and damp HF resonance which can easily be seen as overshoot, or worse, ringing on a square wave's rising edge.

People argue about the merits of using a Zoebel. I say use one if necessary. Others would then maybe argue when is it necessary.

A one tube pcb could be almost standard or universal
[ they all need plate , cathode resisters spots for caps ]
it's the parts value that make it what it is

ALL call for NYD , send you a royalty ?

Thanks Freddy, rodabod - ( funny quote  :D ) , and okgb,

I've done a search and apparently there are differing opinions on the zoebel thing.
  I think I'm going to make a provision on the perfboard  so I can try a few different values or remove it all together to hear what sounds better to me, as I have no scope to test with ( maybe the excuse to get one ).

Question - is R4 removed also when C1 is omitted ?

Hi,
  A friend  sent me a WSM 10k/600 to try for output, could I just wire it backwards to go 10k/600 ? or is there a reason they sell 10k/600  AND    600/10k  ;D

Yes, you could wire it backwards. I just tried an Edcor XSM 10k/600 to see what the difference is. I got an extra 1.5 db of gain (compared to the 15k/600)

Latest posts

Back