NewYorkDave's Passive Equalizer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know the stigma behind NYD, but i do know that he appears to be a pretty revered fellow by all the older members here, so it's awesome that he's contributing something to the community again! 

Quick, someone build a 51x version!!!!    jk jk jk jk  ;D ;D ;D

Yup, this is great! One bottle is on the top of my list of builds.

OK, whose built one?

I have been pouring over the schematic since yesterday. I really like the simplicity. Once I get set up again, I might take a crack at building one. Seems like a Q control would be easy to implement. High/low Q switch or something like that if you were so inclined. Since Dave has included the inductor DCR on the schematic, and instructions earlier in the thread, it makes things even easier!

Always love the look of your builds Dave. DIY all the way! Now we need a shot of the guts of this bad boy if you are so inclined.

I have a couple of most likely stupid questions, but I'll wait a bit to see if I can answer them myself, or until someone else asks them.  ;D

Funny... I was just a few days busy posting and thinking about adding a mid to Ian's poor men's eq1-a. Would the answer lie in a hybrid NYD-Ian eq?

gyraf said:
chrispsound said:
Any idea of where to get  820mH/ 67ohm dcr or less ,330mH/ 32 ohm dcr or less and 150mH/ 12 ohm dcr or less inductors.

Why not wind them yourself?

Jakob E.
What AWG (magnet?) wire would you use for these inductors and what bobbin?  I get the math involved in the winding but I don't understand how to choose wire thickness/DCR and bobbin style.  Thanks, ChrisP

erikb1971 said:
Funny... I was just a few days busy posting and thinking about adding a mid to Ian's poor men's eq1-a. Would the answer lie in a hybrid NYD-Ian eq?

NYD's EQ is essentially the same technique as used for the mid boost/cut in the Helios Type 69 EQ which is much liked. There is no problem in principle adding a mid section to the poor man's EQ but:

1. Avoiding interaction with the Hi and Lo controls is very difficult without needing much extra gain make up.
2. Retaining the Pultec bass bump presents an additional difficulty ( I have already done a version of the EQP1A with added mid cut but the bass bump was lost in the process)
3. It needs an inductor which is not cheap.

At present I am messing about with de-tuned twin T notch filters as a possible very low cost poor man's mid control. I'll let you know if I make any progress.

Cheers

Ian

chrispsound said:
Any idea of where to get  820mH/ 67ohm dcr or less ,330mH/ 32 ohm dcr or less and 150mH/ 12 ohm dcr or less inductors.

I could make a few for people on our coil winder. You'd need a core with reasonably high AL value to get those values  - let me look into it.

From the schematic, they look like tapped inductors. Is that right?

Stewart

Jaakko bilt one years ago. had a chance to hear it, one sweet eq... I think he built an improved version based on the first build that he still uses now.

Cinemag has a selection of multi tap inductors as well, and they will do custom orders. I looked into one of their multi tap inductors awhile back, and it was $35 or so, but if ChrioN or Zebra50 can wind a few, that would be awesome!

If you can find inductors that are close, you can adjust the capacitor values on each inductor to change the resonant frequency. I can't remember the formula at the moment. I'll try to get that posted.

For the DP12T switch for the high frequency gain, I am guessing we have to do a 2 deck SP12T rotary switch?

Alright, I have a silly question, and I am just going for it. Looking at the schematic it shows all the gain switches connected together using a common bank of resistors. Just wanted to confirm that this is how it is actually done. Sorry for the silly question, but I have little experience with EQ schematics.

Great to see you back Dave.

I built a MILA awhile back and it is my absolute favorite, always the first pre I turn to for everything from vocals to electric guitar, and the DI works awesome for bass guitar as well.

I've always been very curious about the NYD passive EQ... I joined this forum right after you left and the schematics had been taken down. There's a very good chance I will build this (or something similar) quite soon.

Mason

great stuff, I built your one - bottle design mostly out of scrap parts from an old Altec 438 and it stands up to most high end preamps in the studio - sounds great!

Also built the line - to - instrument interface which is cool too.

The EQ design is one of the things I'd like to try next, I might still have some of the original documents posted here somewhere.

cheers, Marten

Insomniaclown said:
Alright, I have a silly question, and I am just going for it. Looking at the schematic it shows all the gain switches connected together using a common bank of resistors. Just wanted to confirm that this is how it is actually done. Sorry for the silly question, but I have little experience with EQ schematics.

yes, set up as voltage dividers to control the gain structure. Quite clever.

Back