Not always easy to find stuff

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

Microphone holder appear to have 5/8 27 threads. McMaster Carr carries both that size tap and die. The price for the tap is $30.41 USA page 2237, Die $51.71 USA

I have not found a cheaper source doe anyone know of a place to get them cheaper.

I was thinking a list of company that make nice things like DB punches etc.

As far as the die goes, i have had great luck with having things turned on the lathe at a local machinist who is verrry reasonable on his labor rates. The tap would be a different story.

It is a very unusual size from what I have heard.

HTH.

My machinist bought a die for me and I think it was about $40-50. He said that it was a standard-non-standard size. (If that makes any sense.) He said the tool company in town ordered it for him. So you might try some tooling companies in town that supply machine shops.

Harbor Freight? You'd probably have to call them or go to a store since they don't list all the sizes available in the sets.

You could buy a lot of cheap mike holders and podium-studs and use the threaded parts for your own use for the $80 it costs to tool-up.

you want a tough one, try finding a die for the spindle off a 66 Buick Special.
I gave it to our machinist who had about 50 years experience (lack of childhood labor laws in England),
and he couldn't figure it out. some custom factory tooling or something.

[quote author="cjenrick"]you want a tough one, try finding a die for the spindle off a 66 Buick Special.
I gave it to our machinist who had about 50 years experience (lack of childhood labor laws in England),
and he couldn't figure it out. some custom factory tooling or something.[/quote] Sounds like time to break out the thread file...ever seen those?

yes, I used one to get the nut off after I spun the wheel bearing. But when you spin a bearing, the spindle gets so hot that you lose the heat treating, which means it could snap, so I had to pop the ball joints and put on a new spindle.
The car is in the yard now. Probably crunched and shipped to Korea.

Back