{NOT!} Sorry my nonexsisting english.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no problems with language differences; spelling, on the other hand, drives me nuts! Take, for example, the title of this forum, "Existing" doesn't need another "s". I guess the thing that bugs me about it, is dictionaries are all over, and spell checkers as well, so there's really no excuse for it, unless you're writing for effect.

The thing is, mis-spelling certain words, can give it an entirely different meaning, and the thought you (whomever) were trying to convey, is lost.

I also realize, though, that bad spelling is rampant in almost everything you read, so I don't really expect it to change. Also, when you type on the keyboard, spelling errors happen all the time, and most people don't bother to check, even though they do know the proper way to spell the word. So, anyway, that's all I'm gonna say about that! Yew no wut i meen? :green: :wink:

[quote author="kubi"][quote author="PRR"]>... english is a bastard language with many roots and many conflicting "rules"... [/quote]

Believe me, german or french is much worse!
[/quote]
And then some...
My early teens were spent trying to decipher FUDGEBOW (German prepositions followed by the accustive)

Even to this day I don't know what the hell a preposition or accusitive is (as do probably half the population of the UK - we don't get taught rigid grammer rules in UK schools - or if we did I was out that day)

But saying that has anybody ever tried to read Chaucer (we all had to when I was 16 for English Literature exams - jesus Old English is something else)

Even though I am English I was brought up in Kubi's neck of the woods (North Rhine Westfalia) and have lived in 43 different houses on 3 continents
And I do consider myself totally English even though my ancestors came over in the Norman Invasion (1066) and were banished from Scotland (1700) -

I'd like to make a request for a sticky somewhere on the site that has a paragraph telling new members that their use of the English language is NOT a problem.

I've recently witnessed threads on other audio forums where numerous members bemoaned the "molestation" of the English language. That type of thread can only discourage members whose first language is not English from participating IMHO.

We had a Chinese fellow join-up at the old site! (Can anyone pm him at old site or email a link to here?) It would be a hell of a shame to inhibit the forum's uptake of new members from far-out places on the globe, I vote for a "FAQ" or sticky somewhere that lets them know they are welcome and will not be judged on their use of English.

Justin

btw, Should far-out have a hyphen in this context or have I been hanging with too many hippies? :wink:

Yes, I remember him - Tosch or N-Tosch was his user name. he was Japanese, and used auto-translation for this board. A bit hard to understand, but very good information indeed.

I haven't got his email adress either..Anyone?

It is from Tosch, we got the documents on the DBX202-vca (on the gyraf/resources page)

I also remember in the good old days when I started hanging around here - I felt ashamed about my bad english. Those days are over - I've realized that information can be transferred unproblematic even with language errors. And as long people genuinely want to understand what you're trying to say, there's always a way..

Jakob E.

[quote author="SSLtech"]Anyhow, Mark Burnley has met my mum, and my dear old sainted mother just got back from New Zealand, by way of Thailand... Can't say she lets the grass grow under her feet![/quote]

Yep,

Mother SSLTech makes a great cuppa and provides a fine selection of biscuits, as well as a (small scale) electronics surplus importer/exporter :wink:

But seriously, I feel ashamed of my lack of linguistic ability compared to you guys- I can just about get by in school-level-French, but that's about it. I spent way too much time in the elctronics lab at school for my own good! I'm picking up more German now (my uncle lives in Germany- beautiful country :cool: ), but that's mostly from studying Neumann/Siemens etc manuals!

No need to apologise- I understand everyone here, and am impressed by the range of countries everyone comes from. The Lab is truly Worldwide!

:grin:

Mark

I can say one sentence in Dutch and Flemish.

..and French and German and several other languages...

Usually the first thing you learn when touring is "Can I have a beer" :guinness: and possibly "will you perform (insert act of indecency here) upon me" :shock: ... and if you haven't been arrested or atacked by that point: "Do you have any friends" :wink:

I in my twisted way decided to learn "My Hovercraft is full of eels" instead. As a result, on most of my tours I was sober and celibate... :roll:

Keith

Very interesting post... I learn a lot.

A funny french citation about "well speaking french an priority" :

Mme Beauzée couchait avec un professeur de langue allemande. Monsieur Beauzée les surprit au retour de l'Académie. L'Allemand dit à la femme: « Quand je vous le disais qu'il était temps que je m'en aille. » Monsieur Beauzée, toujours puriste, le reprit: « Que je m'en allasse, monsieur. »

I think you need to speak french fluently to understand this...

In a somewhat related search, I ran into this - the "dialectizer". Nearly fell off my chair laughing..

http://www.rinkworks.com/dialect/dialectp.cgi?dialect=jive&inside=1&url=http://gyraf.dk/gy_pd/ssl/ssl.htm

(press the "dialectizise" button)

:razz:

Jakob E.

[quote author="kubi"]Shakespeare's works would never work in german as it does not have that (may I say) romantic flow of the english language. German is much more dry and less emotional. Its precision deriving from its military history leads to much more complicated grammar rules.[/quote]

Still, I wish I could read Goethe or Kafka in their original language...

Just one thing to say:
here you got a great opportunity to learn more english. We write and read a lot, all about a tsubject we LOVE. That's just perfect learning method. And you got the coolest professors for free!! :green: It worked for my English about 15 years ago.... Internet is the shit! Enjoy!!!

I like this...

A group of peoble are 'n habe been open admittigg t' extrackigg content of dis site f' de purpose of publishigg it on anodeh webuhb site.
What protecks us or odeh webuhb sites from dis happenigg t' dem too, duh...uh...? Do Webuhb Sites habe rites t' the, errr, content dey host. DOIHH!What are de ackual Laws regardigg de intelleckual © proteckion of webuhb content 'n f'um content, duh...uh...?

The dialectizer had me in stitches! Funniest link I've seen for a while. From now on all my correspondence with the group shall be in Jive :green:

J

Because we are talking about our bad english, please explainme, what means:
BTW, IMHO FWIW(I didnt remember) etc,etc, what we used in our forum.
Thanks
Duka

BTW: by the way
IMHO: in my honest (or humble) opinion
FWIW: for what it worths.. maybe.. i'm not sure about this one :green:

Latest posts

Back