NYD-1B (one-Bottle) FINISHED!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MasonAtom said:
Kevin,
Did you drill a small hole for the wires to come through the bracket and attach on the pin side, or is there something else going on here?

Mason

YES... there's nothing tricky going on.
I just thought I'd run the wires behind the Plate for better isolation from the signal wires.  ;)

Awesome build KH looks perfect. What mics sound good thru it? Besides U87?

Seems like a great pre for a high output condenser. Most condensers are high output these days anyway. And your build job is excellent. Thanks for the pics!

I track with compressors anyway so if I even needed more gain it wouldn't matter. But looks like ya wouldn't need it.

John

We need a turretboard layout diagram like yours to be added to the build plans. The layout is clean.

Kevin,

you or someone should supply these turret board layouts to lab members. From my recollection there was only a schematic of this preamp but no layout available. Its difficult for some to take a schematic and make a board layout , that takes skill and patience which is not all that easy depending on the complexity of the schematic. It would be great to post the turret board layout and component values for members who have difficulty converting schematics to a layout , any interest ?

Nonetheless, from the pictures you could nearly get the same info.

khstudio said:
MasonAtom said:
Kevin,
Did you drill a small hole for the wires to come through the bracket and attach on the pin side, or is there something else going on here?

Mason

YES... there's nothing tricky going on.
I just thought I'd run the wires behind the Plate for better isolation from the signal wires.  ;)

Thanks Kevin. That's what I thought, I just wasn't 100% sure from the pictures.

Your layout is somewhat similar to something I'm working on for a new standalone guitar preamp I'm working up. The 9BA basing for 12A_7 tubes is a pain in the ass if you want to run on 6.3V because of the placement of pin 9.

For the heaters, did you just go the AC route with elevation from a voltage divider off the B+, or did you go with regulated DC? I'm thinking of trying out both for a compare/contrast. I can't remember how Dave did it in the original schematic.

Mason

Just taking a few closer looks at this... really beautiful work throughout. I'm assuming the torroid is there to supply phantom power? The other switches are pad and phase? I can't quite make out your grounding scheme, is it star grounded? Maybe I'm just missing it.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just always intrigued by how people lay things out with tube stuff after my MILA debacle.

Mason

Stagefright13 said:
Awesome build KH looks perfect. What mics sound good thru it? Besides U87?

Seems like a great pre for a high output condenser. Most condensers are high output these days anyway. And your build job is excellent. Thanks for the pics!

I track with compressors anyway so if I even needed more gain it wouldn't matter. But looks like ya wouldn't need it.

John

Hi John,
Well... I like a LOT of stuff/mics thru this pre!  ;D
I just got done tracking guitars & REALLY liked a 421 thru it!!!
58's, 57's, etc... all are pretty cool thru this thing... it's hard to explain but it's becoming my "Go to Pre" for a lot of things.

MasonAtom said:

For the heaters, did you just go the AC route with elevation from a voltage divider off the B+, or did you go with regulated DC? I'm thinking of trying out both for a compare/contrast. I can't remember how Dave did it in the original schematic.

Mason
[/quote]

In my 1st post I think I mentioned I raised the heaters... Exactly like the MILA Schematic.

maxwall said:
We need a turretboard layout diagram like yours to be added to the build plans. The layout is clean.

Kevin,

you or someone should supply these turret board layouts to lab members. From my recollection there was only a schematic of this preamp but no layout available. Its difficult for some to take a schematic and make a board layout , that takes skill and patience which is not all that easy depending on the complexity of the schematic. It would be great to post the turret board layout and component values for members who have difficulty converting schematics to a layout , any interest ?

Nonetheless, from the pictures you could nearly get the same info.

OK... since a lot of people seem to like my layout I will try to make & post one (like I promised)  8)
I've just been so busy with sessions, building stuff & re-routing my patchbay... as soon as things settle down I will post NEW (Final) pics, the layout & as much detailed info about my build as I can.

Thanks again everyone for your comments.

& just to say it again... I didn't care for this pre as much with an output transformer. Too much gain loss!!! IMO
I also said F**k it & ran it into my UA 2192 (that I mentioned earlier that has an input impedance of 1.5 to 2k) & it sounded GREAT using a 421 on guitars.
I DID notice the loading of the UA when I was tracking BASS thru the DI... like a little more distortion & reduced low end... but it still didn't suck. It just sounded a little better going into my RME converters with 10k input LOAD.

MasonAtom said:
Just taking a few closer looks at this... really beautiful work throughout. I'm assuming the toroid is there to supply phantom power? The other switches are pad and phase? I can't quite make out your grounding scheme, is it star grounded? Maybe I'm just missing it.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just always intrigued by how people lay things out with tube stuff after my MILA debacle.

Mason

Yes - toroid = Phantom power.
other switches are pad and phase?
YES

I also added (not shown) "Separate" switches for ZOBEL & LOADING that really come in handy. ;)

Yea... I spent some time on this one.
The ground follows the circuit just like Dave recommends.
It also moved some thing around (when compared to others layouts) so I could keep the wires from crossing when going to & from the tube... very important as it minimizes, & in my case, eliminated any oscillation, etc... from occurring.

this thing is pretty damn quiet... no noise & VERY minimal HUM (even with Power TX inside & AC Heaters)

the higher impedance of the secondary and plate loads
have potential to radiate or pick up signal ,
so it's wise to pay attention to where the wires go as Kev did ,
doesn't hurt to shield to the grids either ,
just careful of the grounding of that wire
[ one side only back at imput ]

Just to let you know that i fixed the low gain on my preamp....Cinemag CM75101 was wired to 1:5....now its wired to 1:10!!!
Sounds good altough i have some hum!

Thanks..

Hey Kevin,

Sorry to keep bugging you... Just wondering what if you could identify the PCB that used for the phantom power. Is that the Green Pre PSU board? Did you make any modifications to that part of the circuit?

Thanks,

Mason

MasonAtom said:
Hey Kevin,

Sorry to keep bugging you... Just wondering what if you could identify the PCB that used for the phantom power. Is that the Green Pre PSU board? Did you make any modifications to that part of the circuit?

Thanks,

Mason

I'm pretty sure that I used Peters PSU but can't remember. You can use ANY PSU or build it yourself.
It's only for the 48v Phantom & not too difficult to figure out.

Well, I finally got around to taking a closer look at this project. I decided to make a few changes that will allow the circuit to operate in a more standard 600Ω environment without the gain loss that a transformer would cause.

I know....the purists aren't going to like this, but hey - I don't care. The nice part is that the FET will clip (soft clip, in a nice way) long before the DRV134 will, and all of the impedance's should be pretty optimized.

Let me know if anyone see's any issues. Also, Kevin - what was the zoebel network you ended up using? I'm planning on using your Triads on this project.

OBP%20Hybrid.tif

For those of you that can't see the picture, it's here: http://amalgammusic.com/images/OBP%20Hybrid.tif

-Peter

Latest posts

Back