Official C12 Clone - Build and Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished my pair of these over the weekend and got to give them a proper test for a solo piano recording I’m doing this week. They sound incredible.

Beezneez capsules, Moby T14, NOS Siemens 12AT7 from Christian Whitmore.
Squeezed the power supplies into Hammond 6x6x3 enclosures. Not the cheapest option but they look great.

Thanks to matador and chunger for making this project available and to all who have contributed here for the clear explication and clarification.

Attachments

• B6BC580D-FB61-4ACA-912C-AB78CC95E4DB.jpeg
    B6BC580D-FB61-4ACA-912C-AB78CC95E4DB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • CAE69845-B633-4CF0-A052-992A300769F3.jpeg
    CAE69845-B633-4CF0-A052-992A300769F3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
Nothing to really compare them to. I have a pair of the v2545 transformers from moby here but they are physically too large to fit in this body with the matador PCBs.

Maybe a dumb question, but does a torodial transformer that delivers 135VAC and 12VAC for the matachung PSU also work? Have some spare parts which were used in another tube mic PSU. Thanks!

Yes, although keep in mind R1 and R2 are tuned for 200VAC, so they'll need to be reduced in value proportionally.

Also, heat dissipation in the +6V regulator will go up, but the heat sink should be able to handle it.

I officially finished my C12 clone :)

it is sounding awesome and totally different than my Neumanns! I combined an OPR CK12 with a Moby T14/1 and a GE 6072 triple mica (pic shows TAD test tube). PSU chassis is overstock from a Beesneez one, really high quality stuff.

Had basically no problems, except a terribly ringing PP capacitor (the right one). I silenced all PPs it with durable soft packaging foam.

I still need to figure out correct values for the PSU, have two 36kOhm on my way as with the 39er I only get 110Volt, which is fine, though I would like to hear what it sounds at "full" 120Volt. Maybe I only change R2 for 33kOhm.

Thanks for this great project. Thanks Chunger and Matador for everything you've put into that. You are great!

Attachments

• IMG_9236.jpeg
    IMG_9236.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9246.jpeg
    IMG_9246.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_9265.jpeg
    IMG_9265.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9266.jpeg
    IMG_9266.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
Seem to be getting very occasional pops. Tonight was three or four times maybe 20-45 minutes apart. A friend who had them on loan reported pops 3 hours into a session, but we ran them for 4 hours the next day without incident. Any ideas how I might troubleshoot?

Howdee,

I bought an assembled C12 Clone and it came with an RK-12. I then ordered a CK-12 from Beesneez and went to confirm that B+ on the power supply was measuring 120v. BUT the B+ wire is not soldered onto P5 on the green terminal. Instead it's soldered onto resistor R6 !

It's measuring 120v so assume the trace from R6 runs to P5 on the green terminal ?

IMG_5034.JPG
dean

Last edited:
Might have messed up a solder pad? I guess if the voltages are ok I wouldn’t stress about the build and enjoy your awesome mic!

I believe the schematics are available on this thread or in the universal PSU thread if you want to check it out.

Finish this built, really pleased with the results. Beezneez capsules, Fab Microphones T14X transformer, Electro-Harmonix 12AY7.
Built from the cadaver of an Apex 460b, all silver solder, and Volkswagen copper bronze metallic paint!

Thanks to matador and chunger and to all who have contributed here for the clear explication and clarification.

Will be a great addition to the mic locker,dUb12-03-DSC09934.jpg
dUb12-01-DSC09927.jpg
dUb12-02-DSC09941.jpg

See you for the next built :)

Finish this built, really pleased with the results. Beezneez capsules, Fab Microphones T14X transformer, Electro-Harmonix 12AY7.
Built from the cadaver of an Apex 460b, all silver solder, and Volkswagen copper bronze metallic paint!

Thanks to matador and chunger and to all who have contributed here for the clear explication and clarification.

Will be a great addition to the mic locker,View attachment 116022
View attachment 116023
View attachment 116024

See you for the next built :)
Paint job is beautiful, love earth tones on microphones

yea
I've built 2 of the c12 with gutting the 460, I would open them up, but they are both in use elsewhere.
I was hoping to build another with a more robust looking p/s case.
I was just needing the model# of the xformer it uses, I have all the other parts.
I looked in mouser and digikey but I couldn't find a dual 200v/9v secondary.
I'll get a 460 from one of the vendors here.
thanks

Latest posts

Back