official GDIY51PSU Help & Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK! Thanks Harpo :)

It wasn't that I had anything backwards, but in checking this I pulled out the quick connects on the primaries and found that I just had a bad solder joint at one of them.  I wouldn't have seen that in the testing that I already did.  Knew it would be something stupid!  It always as..

Thanks for the help, everyone.  Sometimes I just need other eyes to make me look at what's right in front of me.  I can solder 500 quick connects and eventually one will be bad.

Brian

[silent:arts] said:
jsteiger said:
I just checked and I have no continuity between Gnd and Chassis on my assembled backplane. This is good as I do not want it there. I don't think that they are internally connected on the Neutrik PCB mount XLR. I could be wrong... ???
http://www.neutrik.com/fl/en/audio/210_t2_674472471/NC3FBV1-M25_detail.aspx

however, any powder coating / lacquer might protect the contact ...
Volker, when packing a kit up this morning, I noticed that the shell on the female XLR can easily be disconnected from pin #1. Maybe some will find this desirable? This connection kinda defeats the star ground theory doesn't it? That is if it is actually made thru the powder-coat. I know this is a Neutrik factory thing. Just thinking out loud...verbally slap me if you deem in necessary.

BTW, Cemal, nice diagram. The primary colors on the toroids I am supplying are different. However, a quick study of Cemal's schemo and the toroid pdf from my website should make everything clear.

Cheers, Jeff

jsteiger said:
So you're all good Brian? That is some good news.

Yeah, totally all good now Jeff.  When I had checked for 120v at the primaries, I checked at the connector, not behind it.  It wasn't until I took it apart, thinking to verify the color coding on the primaries as Harpo suggested, that I found the bad soldering.  I guess the only thing I was right about was that it WAS something dumb :)  Usually is..  The thing works a treat now.  Now on to some 24v modules  ;D

Brian

jsteiger said:
[silent:arts] said:
jsteiger said:
I just checked and I have no continuity between Gnd and Chassis on my assembled backplane. This is good as I do not want it there. I don't think that they are internally connected on the Neutrik PCB mount XLR. I could be wrong... ???
http://www.neutrik.com/fl/en/audio/210_t2_674472471/NC3FBV1-M25_detail.aspx

however, any powder coating / lacquer might protect the contact ...
Volker, when packing a kit up this morning, I noticed that the shell on the female XLR can easily be disconnected from pin #1. Maybe some will find this desirable? This connection kinda defeats the star ground theory doesn't it? That is if it is actually made thru the powder-coat. I know this is a Neutrik factory thing. Just thinking out loud...verbally slap me if you deem in necessary.

Jeff, in all my builds I wire pin1 to chassis, and for star grounding we have two independent wires to the PSU (GND & Chassis):
http://www.rane.com/note165.html
http://www.rane.com/note151.html

I would say connecting pin1 to GND is the option, not the other way around ;)

The component list with RS numbers uses screw terminals with a 3.81mm pitch, but the overlay says to use 3.96mm. Does it matter? Or which should I stick with?

Also what is everyone using for 7 conductor cable? I was considering buying tube mic cable. Does this cable come with the 51x wiring kit?

The only thing that is not supplied with the wiring kit is the 7 core cable. The reason is that buying a 100m reel costs a lot of money and up until now we had not got sufficient psu kit orders to justify it. We had already bought 9x100m reel of different colour for internal wiring and half of it will be left in hand. Considering that the component prices I gave are RS' one of prices and we do not make any profit on them we'll be out of pocket.

However, according to the feedback we gathered from the general comments from the forum residents we feel that we have to serve the 511 project better. As a result we now decided to supply the full psu kit right down to the nuts and bolts including the 7 core cable. Three of us are working on pricing from our own local suppliers to come up with a purchasing program so that we are not out of pocket. I am sure you will appreciate that this is a huge undertaking and eats up a lot of cash.

I had some 7 core Alpha cable that were left over from previous jobs and I supplied them to a couple of members free of charge to compensate for the things went wrong with their orders. Whatever cable you use make sure that it handles at least 2A.

funkymonksf said:
What are you all using for 7 conductor cable?

Try McMaster or another industrial supply house. They sell by the ft.
Here's one example:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#electrical-wire-cable-and-cords/=9l37zj

Denyle Guitars said:
funkymonksf said:
What are you all using for 7 conductor cable?

Try McMaster or another industrial supply house. They sell by the ft.
Here's one example:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#electrical-wire-cable-and-cords/=9l37zj
Nice Tom. I never even thought of looking there. I love those guys.

What is the minimum required distance between the transformer and the PSU board  to prevent electrical influence on the quality of the output voltages?
I would like to build 2 PSUs in 1 case with a transformer for each PSU board. Since the heatsinks provided by Sahib are well proportioned ( just received them Big thanks ;D) they take a little more space then i expected. Can i put the transformers on top of each other (using a 3HE case) or is it better to spread  the parts through the case?

At the moment I am helping out another member on a dual psu in a single case.  I am writing from home at the moment and unfortunately I don't have the pictures on this computer to show the layout I think works best.

Couple of members built a dual psu with the transformers located in the centre.  This would not be my preference as the PCBs are not handed. I prefer to have the AC going in from one end and the DC coming out from the other without them crossing eachother or running side by side. I like a complete isolation. I would locate the transformers on one side and the PCB/Heatsink on the other. Locating the one set of heatsink between the PCB and the transformers also provide a screen.

Hey guys,

Having a bit of a problem:

How exactly are you supposed to connect the 7 pin xlr? In the first place, there's only 6 holes in the pcb. Not a huge problem... i thought that maybe i'd take the spare pin directly to the 511 rack chassis? But with closer inspection, it looks like there's two of the pins of the 7 pin xlr that are connected to the chassis layer of the board?!?

But another problem is that there's no connection between the +/- 24v rails on the pcb and the neutrik.

I feel like i must have missed something haha. Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

7 pin Neutrik connection;

1 = Chassis
2 = Gnd
3 = +16V
4 = -16V
5 = +48V
6 = +24V
7 = -24V

Output terminal on the pcb does not include the chassis connection. However, on either side of the AC input terminal block there are two chassis connections.

Oops,

Sorry, i just realized this was the wrong GDIY51x thread hah.

To clarify, i was referring to the 7 pin neutrik on the rack unit, not the PSU. (i think you were referring to the psu, right, mr. sahib)

Yes, my apologies. I should have paid more attention to your post. But considering that I was fighting to keep my son off the computer with one hand and typing with other I have not done too bad I suppose. ;D

To keep the original 500 compatibility the  power connection on 511 is only 5 way Neutrik. 7 pin Neutrik connects through the terminal block.

Pin 1 connects to the chassis as usual. However, considering that the entire rack is powder coated I don't think it makes huge difference if you don't connect it.

I apologize if this has been mentioned before but what is the RS website to order the components for the PSU? I thought I was on the right one but when I punch in the part numbers I am getting the wrong parts. Has anyone made a complete parts list for Digi or Mouser?

Back