OPEN SOURCE DIY Mic Project - ORS 87 - Stripped Down u87

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see I need to buy XLR connector fitting the HL-95 body. Anybody knows which will fit? Mouser or Farnell would work for me.
I used from another very cheap Chinese microphone. But it can also be bought separately from Ali
Anyway, we all have this problem with bodies bought separately, surely there are different solutions, links

I see I need to buy XLR connector fitting the HL-95 body. Anybody knows which will fit? Mouser or Farnell would work for me.

You can get the cheapest Cliff UK panel-mount XLR connectors from TME in Poland - they look like the discontinued Neutrik NC3MP.

You can also stock up on passive components and whatever, likely a bit cheaper than the US-based distributors. Just too bad they don't have any free shipping threshold, but on the other hand, the 9,90e UPS Express Saver can do next-business-day delivery to at least Finland 😁

Later edit: Either the Cliff UK FC6105, or the even cheaper Ninigi equivalent

Last edited:
I'd like to ask your opinion about my BIAS calibration procedure (using 24V zener).
No hardware oscilloscope is used, only DAW.

1. Disconnect both capsules wires from the PCB (FD and BP)
2. Connect mic XLR to preamp INPUT and phantom +48V powered on. Connect preamp output XLR to your DAW and use some kind of scope / frequency analizer.
3. Adjust trim pot to get 11Vdc in JFET drain as a starting point (assuming 24V zener)
4. Inject a 100mVac signal from your DAW signal generator to the PCB (use a two wires unbalanced cable with (+) terminal connected to JFET gate and (-) terminal connected to GND). You should have something like this.
01 - 100mVac - Drain 11V.jpg

5. Raise signal to 200mVac and you should have a little more distorsion (harmonics)
02 - 200mVac - Drain 11V.jpg

6. Raise signal to 300mVac and you will have this (even more distorsion)
03 - 300mVac - Drain 11V.jpg

7. Now adjust trim pot to decrease this harmonic distorsion as much as possible (you won't be able to remove distorsion completely). Something like this
04 - 300mVac - Drain 9V.jpg

8. My final reading in JFET drain is 9,2Vdc.
9. Remove calibration 2 wires cable and solder capsule wires.
10. It's done. Congratulations !!!

What do you think? Do you find it correct?
I wanted to confirm using this detailed explanation.

I'd like to ask your opinion about my BIAS calibration procedure (using 24V zener).
No hardware oscilloscope is used, only DAW.

1. Disconnect both capsules wires from the PCB (FD and BP)
2. Connect mic XLR to preamp INPUT and phantom +48V powered on. Connect preamp output XLR to your DAW and use some kind of scope / frequency analizer.
3. Adjust trim pot to get 11Vdc in JFET drain as a starting point (assuming 24V zener)
4. Inject a 100mVac signal from your DAW signal generator to the PCB (use a two wires unbalanced cable with (+) terminal connected to JFET gate and (-) terminal connected to GND). You should have something like this.
View attachment 131520

5. Raise signal to 200mVac and you should have a little more distorsion (harmonics)
View attachment 131521

6. Raise signal to 300mVac and you will have this (even more distorsion)
View attachment 131522

7. Now adjust trim pot to decrease this harmonic distorsion as much as possible (you won't be able to remove distorsion completely). Something like this
View attachment 131523

8. My final reading in JFET drain is 9,2Vdc.
9. Remove calibration 2 wires cable and solder capsule wires.
10. It's done. Congratulations !!!

Were the tests, viewing, measurements, BIAS, etc. done with the signal going through the transformer?

The procedure, yes. Not sure the exact signal amplitudes are crucial or relevant, but that is indeed the way to go.

Were the tests, viewing, measurements, BIAS, etc. done with the signal going through the transformer?
Connect mic XLR to preamp INPUT and phantom +48V powered on. Connect preamp output XLR to your DAW and use some kind of scope / frequency analizer.

Pretty sure "DAW" means "audio interface", so there's your answer ;)

Yes, the procedure was done including PCB+transformer (complete mic circuit excepting capsule). All screenshots from DAW analyzer was taken from preamp output at minimal gain. Probably the signal amplitudes are not crucial, I just wanted to have reference values

Yes, the procedure was done including PCB+transformer (complete mic circuit excepting capsule). All screenshots from DAW analyzer was taken from preamp output at minimal gain. Probably the signal amplitudes are not crucial, I just wanted to have reference values

The only caveat is that you're not able to see the effects of the feedback network on the frequency response, but that's only relevant if you know (or care about) the "raw" response of the capsule itself 👍🏻

I disconnect the primary of the transformer from the 1uF capacitor.
Instead, at this point I connect a sound card input (in 1)
I feed the microphone with Uphantom via XLR from another channel (in 2).

Otherwise, I would follow the procedure described by you, using the DAW on the channel (in 1).
So I make the BIAS of the jFET without the influence (harmonics) of the transformer.

Finally, when everything is adjusted, I connect the transformer.

The only caveat is that you're not able to see the effects of the feedback network on the frequency response, but that's only relevant if you know (or care about) the "raw" response of the capsule itself 👍🏻
Which parts are included in the feedback network ?? Remember I made my own PCB and I included R6 1G, C4 470pF and R7 1G from the original schematic.

I actually inject the signal before this C4 470pF, not directly in JFET gate. But I wanted to share this procedure assuming we are in ORS87 thread.

Last edited:
This was an earlier post from Khron:

Just measure the resistance between all four wires. Larger resistance side goes towards the circuit, lower resistance side goes towards the XLR. If it turns out to be out of phase with a standard mic, swap the two wires going to the XLR. No need to assume or wonder or anything...

Last edited:

667-ECE-A1VKS4R7 16VDC
667-ECE-A1VKS4R7 35 VDC Hello, can you tell me if I can also take the 35 VDC or is that bad? 16VDC are indicated, what can be destroyed?🫣:ROFLMAO:

16V rating is the MINIMUM voltage rating to use there. Anything above that is good; less than that is "no". As long as the capacitor still physically fits, of course...

Latest posts

Back