Original La2a case with hinged frontpanel...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only have two basic drawings, like this one:

Attachments

• pr_101.jpg
    pr_101.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 108
Here some  dimensions as measured by someone with a remake (UA??) model La-2A.

Frontpanel is 3,3 mm aluminium....so 3mm will do I guess.
Case itself is 2mm aluminium.

Case is 6,5 cm deep..roughly 2,6 inch. I think here 3,6 to 4 inches will do to accommodate most meters.

Also, is 4.75inch the original depth? If so, maybe add an inch or two, cause it seems that otherwise your limited in your meter choice.

Case is 6,5 cm deep..roughly 2,6 inch. I think here 3,6 to 4 inches will do to accommodate most meters.

So you're saying the shorter length is actually the correct depth?  I just spoke to a 3rd shop and specified a 6 in depth.  It can be adjusted to a shorter length if that's better.  6 in is not too deep to create problems with vol control wiring length.  It will likely be determined by meter depth and possibly attenuator depth for those who wish to use the larger Davens.

Does anyone have a full scale technical drawing with all dimensions shown, including screw hole dimensions?  The 3rd shop has asked if one is available.

They have also asked what scale the drawing (same one I posted above) is,  anyone have any idea?

I just got word from the 3rd shop - they need a dwg file.  Any out there?

If needed I will try and download some CAD freeware and create them myself but expect it will take a while to get through the learning curve. 

lassoharp said:
It can be adjusted to a shorter length if that's better.  6 in is not too deep to create problems with vol control wiring length.

Nah, make it 6inch or more maybe...I don't think a few inches  extra will increase costs to a deal braking high right?

I don't think any dwg files exist on the net for these cases... but I know a few people that can create production ready documents for enclosures. Probably around the $2K range to do it.

but I know a few people that can create production ready documents for enclosures. Probably around the $2K range to do it.

That's a huge rip off!  2k give me a break.........

This is a very easy design.....it's a box with holes!

Do people want cases with holes for La2a or just plain hinged boxes?

thestudio said:
That's a huge rip off!  2k give me a break.........

This is a very easy design.....it's a box with holes!

cool... here's a link to a free CAD program that can export to DXF.
http://www.progesoft.us/index.pl?id=3985

When do you think you can replicate the case design and create production files by?
I'd love a case or two.

I have ACAD 2000 already plus others.....Don't have a La2a chassis in my hands....... I made some prototypes but they are not the same design with hinged front face....

Am currently awaiting arrival of a prototype.  Was told it would be along anytime now.  Plan to post pics and info as soon as it's finished.  Hopefully very soon!

Just spoke with the metal shop.

$USD 165.00 ea = price point for 25 units

A prototype will cost me $240.00.

I'm confident the quality will be high - good thickness, laser cut, and hand welded corners etc - but this is not the price point I'd hoped for.

If there is still a strong enough interest I may consider paying out for a prototype for evaluation.

This would have to be handled as a group buy to make it work.

Let me know how everyone feels about this.

So, to clear up current details again(?):

3RU natural aluminum 
removable top and bottom panels
hinged front panel.  screws as fasteners?
6" depth?  or original 4.75" thought?  or other?
nothing pre-machined, left to builder.

if this happens I should get one at least, maybe go for two.  price not excessive for an all inclusive package, IMO. 

3RU aluminum 

6" depth is what I had him quote for.  Seemed like a good idea to cover meter differences and just to have some general working space available for any project.

I had specified a removable top panel only but that is currently out because of extra cost - so, solid top and bottom.  I don't think it's a deal breaker but nice to have during the build.

Screws as fasteners.  Cam locks is an option - add ~$ 32 to final cost.  He has two types on hand.  Since the addition of cam locks should be straightforward (couple of extra holes, one  using existing screw fastener hole)  this could be implemented at any time.  Someone may be able to track them down at better price than he can offer.

3RU aluminum (unfinished)** - check

hinged front panel - check

Rack ears = hefty 1/8

** - He has powder coating available, in shop.  I did not ask for a quote on cost for that, but just letting anyone who might have an interest that it can be done.

Note - Right now I'm just looking to see how many people are still interested at the quoted price point above.  Just assume for this purpose that the chassis will be one that meets your expectations - i.e how many people would still be on board for an 'ideal' La2a chassis at this price point?  If there is enough interest for 25 units, my plan ATM is to evaluate the feedback and proceed with having a real prototype built and then post pics for final evaluation and possible modifications.

correct.

lassoharp said:
3RU aluminum 

6" depth is what I had him quote for.  Seemed like a good idea to cover meter differences and just to have some general working space available for any project.

I had specified a removable top panel only but that is currently out because of extra cost - so, solid top and bottom.  I don't think it's a deal breaker but nice to have during the build.

Screws as fasteners.  Cam locks is an option - add ~$ 32 to final cost.  He has two types on hand.  Since the addition of cam locks should be straightforward (couple of extra holes, one  using existing screw fastener hole)  this could be implemented at any time.  Someone may be able to track them down at better price than he can offer.

3RU aluminum (unfinished)** - check

hinged front panel - check

Rack ears = hefty 1/8

** - He has powder coating available, in shop.  I did not ask for a quote on cost for that, but just letting anyone who might have an interest that it can be done.

Note - Right now I'm just looking to see how many people are still interested at the quoted price point above.  Just assume for this purpose that the chassis will be one that meets your expectations - i.e how many people would still be on board for an 'ideal' La2a chassis at this price point?  If there is enough interest for 25 units, my plan ATM is to evaluate the feedback and proceed with having a real prototype built and then post pics for final evaluation and possible modifications.

correct.

I'm interested by one chassis, this one looks good, can't wait to see pics ;)

cheers
Cyril

i have an original UA front  panel only that Winston O Boogie gave me,

how did he get it?

lets not go there,  8)

let me know if you need any dimensions etc,

one thing to work out in advance is the VU meter, because if the window is wrong, you might need to do some cosmetic surgery,

everybody has to use the same meter or else there could be trouble,

biggggggggggg trouble,

with a capital T and that rhymes with P and that stands for pool,

anybody up for a game of snooker?

i beat steve davis once, but he was blind folded,  ;D

cj

Back