Pacific Recorders & Engineering ABX control room monitor upgrades?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but you should consider how to adjust available 16v rails to avoid excess drive/heating of the 12v relay coils.

No need. ABX has a 12V logic supply. Not only will it keep the coils cool, but it keeps noisy stuff isolated from the audio.

The ABX was built in different sizes. The suffix -18 indicates the number of input channel slots in the frame. Note it doesn't necessarily mean there are 18 input channels installed. You may have fewer with the empty slots (hopefully) covered by blank panels. IIRC, ABX-14 was the smallest and ABX-34 was the largest, however there were at least two ABX-42 consoles built. Those were on the secret menu. :)

An ABX-18 is a charmingly small production console. These were designed primarily for radio production, but they were multipurpose. I have seen them used in production, TV and on the air. Note they are broadcast consoles, so some of the features were different from what you would see on recording consoles. Notably, the multiple output stereo mixes.

The ABX used a 990 for the summing amplifiers on the main stereo output mixes. Program, Audition and Utility all used the 990. There was an option for an output transformer, but those were rarely ordered. It's more likely this console will not have output transformers. It will have a very robust output amplifier however, on the main outputs. We called it a DA output and it was capable of driving multiple 600ohm loads.

The line input channels did not have transformers on ABX. It was an instrumentation type opamp circuit. If you get ahold of the schematics, you'll see some odd circuit values, at least they won't be what you would expect. We used a lot of techniques to keep RFI out of the circuitry. Remember, these were used for broadcast, sometimes installed near a transmitter/tower. Keeping the audio clean was not easy.

If you have any questions about PR&E consoles, I was a console designer there for more than a decade. I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have.

Catfish
Catfish -

Somehow I missed all these replies and especially yours. I am moving this week. All very cool. Yes turns out the desk I got didn’t have the transformers, but I was stoked to find the 990s. And 110s in the mic preamps.

Today I drove to Ohio from Nashville and picked up an ABX-26 as well. I am gonna populate my 18 with more preamps and a 2-mix module, and have it in mind to possibly build an external bussing section with the 7 bus modules in the 26. Its gonna be a walk in the park for sure…but want to see if I can format it for a project studio. Tracking/mixing. I also snagged 4 voice modules and 2 Jensen 123s to install in the 2-mix outs.

I am a producer and have a decent amount of gear but was so impressed with the build of these (and good looks) that I dove in head first to see what can be done. I am also particularly interested in possibly making the preamp section fully discrete by adding a DOA. I haven’t studied schematics yet, just my initial goals.

Thanks

Allen

Attachments

• CBC4B6BE-AF85-49B6-9AB3-4B3DBBA74EB9.jpeg
    CBC4B6BE-AF85-49B6-9AB3-4B3DBBA74EB9.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 5E9BBF96-063B-4DC2-AC56-9DE1918779DD.jpeg
    5E9BBF96-063B-4DC2-AC56-9DE1918779DD.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
That is a 990, only one console used the 918, and they only made a handful of them. That was the System One, pretty much their first console. All Jensen transformers I/O, all discrete. All too expensive for the market.

The 990 was used later as a summing amp and output amp in their consoles. They also used a 5534 front end on an output stage as a plug-in module.

The principals at PR&E were friends with Deanne and Jensen Transformers, many having worked on Quad Eight together.
The System One sounds like it would be killer!!

Catfish -

Somehow I missed all these replies and especially yours. I am moving this week. All very cool. Yes turns out the desk I got didn’t have the transformers, but I was stoked to find the 990s. And 110s in the mic preamps.

Today I drove to Ohio from Nashville and picked up an ABX-26 as well. I am gonna populate my 18 with more preamps and a 2-mix module, and have it in mind to possibly build an external bussing section with the 7 bus modules in the 26. Its gonna be a walk in the park for sure…but want to see if I can format it for a project studio. Tracking/mixing. I also snagged 4 voice modules and 2 Jensen 123s to install in the 2-mix outs.

I am a producer and have a decent amount of gear but was so impressed with the build of these (and good looks) that I dove in head first to see what can be done. I am also particularly interested in possibly making the preamp section fully discrete by adding a DOA. I haven’t studied schematics yet, just my initial goals.

Thanks

Allen
And pics of the 990s

Attachments

• E337E9AD-13C7-4DBD-865E-B49902276BBA.jpeg
    E337E9AD-13C7-4DBD-865E-B49902276BBA.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 2D75E2BF-261B-4F03-9408-091A227841C4.jpeg
    2D75E2BF-261B-4F03-9408-091A227841C4.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Back